The prevalence and incidence of Alzheimer disease (AD) dementia showed substantial variation between 1994 and 2012, but no secular trend, according to a recent study that estimated the prevalence and incidence of AD dementia in a population study based on 2010 US census data. A sample of 2,794 participants with a clinical diagnosis for AD dementia were included. Researchers found:
- The 2010 census standardized prevalence of AD dementia was 14.5%, and annual incidence was 2.3%.
- Both prevalence and incidence showed substantial variation over time, but no secular trends.
- The prevalence of AD dementia did not change significantly from 14.6% in 1994–1997 to 14.7% in 2010–2012.
- The annual incidence of AD dementia was 2.8% in 1998–2000 and 2.2% in 2004–2006 and remained steady in 2010–2012.
- The prevalence and incidence among African Americans were approximately twice than those among European Americans.
Rajan KB, Weuve J, Barnes LL, Wilson RS, Evans DA. Prevalence and incidence of clinically diagnosed Alzheimer's disease dementia from 1994 to 2012 in a population study. [Published online ahead of print September 6, 2018]. Alzheimers Dement. doi:10.1016/j.jalz.2018.07.216.
This Week's Must Reads
Body Image Dissatisfaction in Patients with MS, Int J MS Care; ePub 2018 Nov 1; Stevens, et al
Unemployment Linked with Stigma in MS, Int J MS Care; ePub 2018 Nov 1; Hategeka, et al
Total Hip, Knee Arthroplasty in Patients with MS, Int J MS Care; 2018 Sep-Oct; Gutman, et al
Intracerebral Hemorrhage in Multiple Sclerosis, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2018 Oct 29; Zulfiger, et al
Assessment of CAT Version of Neuro-QOL for MS, Mult Scler; ePub 2018 Nov 1; Healy, et al
Must Reads in Alzheimer's & Cognition
Higher Cortisol Linked with Lower Brain Volume, Neurology; ePub 2018 Oct 24; Echouffo-Tcheugui, et al
Hypertension, Obesity, Cognitive Decline Examined , Alzheimers Dement; ePub 2018 Oct 24; Clark, et al
Racial/Ethnic Estimates of AD and Related Dementias, Alzheimers Dement; ePub 2018 Sep 19; Matthews, et al
Risk Factors for Hippocampal Sclerosis in Oldest-Old, Neurology; ePub 2018 Oct 12; Trieu, et al
Physical Activity Inversely Linked with Dementia, Alzheimers Dement; ePub 2018 Oct 12; Palta, et al