A recent study identified a high frequency of probable obstructive sleep apnea
(pOSA) in refractory epilepsy monitoring patients, finding that pOSA patients were older and heavier, with higher screening symptoms for sleep apnea and more frequent focal seizures with a longer epilepsy duration. Researchers also found a possible association between OSA and sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP) risk. Researchers prospectively recruited 49 consecutive adult patients admitted to the Mayo Clinic Epilepsy Monitoring Unit with focal, generalized, or unclassified epilepsy syndromes. They found:
- 35% of patients had pOSA, with a mean oximetric oxyhemoglobin desaturation index (ODI) of 11.3 ± 5.1/h (range = 5.1‐22.8).
- Patients with pOSA were older and heavier, and more frequently had a focal epilepsy syndrome and longer epilepsy duration, with higher Sleep Apnea-Sleep Disorders Questionnaire (SA‐SDQ) and STOP‐BANG Questionnaire scores.
- Median Revised SUDEP Risk Inventory (rSUDEP‐7) score was 3 ± 1.4 (range = 0‐6).
- Higher rSUDEP‐7 scores were positively correlated with higher ODI.
- rSUDEP‐7 score ≥5 was associated with pOSA by ODI, SA‐SDQ, and STOP‐BANG questionnaire criteria.
McCarter AR, Timm PC, Shepard PW, et al. Obstructive sleep apnea in refractory epilepsy: A pilot study investigating frequency, clinical features, and association with risk of sudden unexpected death in epilepsy. [Published online ahead of print September 24, 2018]. Epilepsia. doi:10.1111/epi.14548.
This Week's Must Reads
Stroke Care Comparison of Asian Americans and Whites, JAMA Neurology; ePub 2019 Jan 22; Song, Liang, et al
Aerobic Exercise Can Improve Executive Functioning , Neurology; 2019 Jan 15; Blumenthal, et al
Episodic Memory Decline is Neurodegenerative Marker, Neurology; ePub 2019 Jan 23; Wilson, Yang, et al
Serum Troponin Level Marker for Visceral Infarcts , J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2019 Jan 18; Azher, et al
Urine Sodium-to-Potassium Ratio Predicts Stroke, Stroke; ePub 2019 Jan 21; Averill, Young, et al
Must Reads in Epilepsy & Seizures
Hospital Readmission After Seizure Discharge, Neurology; ePub 2018 Dec 21; Blank, et al
Information About SUDEP on YouTube Analyzed, Epilepsy Behav; ePub 2018 Dec 7; Rayi, et al
Unplanned Pregnancy, Fetal Loss, and Epilepsy, JAMA Neurology; ePub 2018 Oct 15; Herzog, et al
Probable OSA Common in Refractory Epilepsy, Epilepsia; ePub 2018 Sep 24; McCarter, et al
Circadian, Circaseptan Rhythms in Epilepsy Examined, Lancet Neurol; ePub 2018 Sep 12; Karoly, et al