Pathologic Alzheimer disease (AD) accounts for a considerable percentage of Alzheimer dementia cases, but multiple other neuropathologies also contribute, according to a recent study of 1,161 participants. In total, just >two-thirds of Alzheimer dementia cases are attributable to common age‐related neuropathologies, suggesting that other disease and resilience factors are important. Multivariable logistic regression models examined associations of 8 neuropathologic indices with Alzheimer dementia and quantified the percentage of cases attributable to each. Researchers found:
- Of total participants, 512 (44.1%) had Alzheimer dementia at the time of death.
- With the exception of microinfarcts, all neuropathologic indices were independently associated with greater odds of Alzheimer dementia.
- 210 (41.0%) Alzheimer dementia cases were attributable to pathologic AD.
- Separately, 8.9% were attributable to macroscopic infarcts, 10.8% to Lewy bodies, 5.2% to hippocampal sclerosis, 11.7% to TDP‐43, 8.1% to cerebral amyloid angiopathy, 6.0% to atherosclerosis, and 5.2% to arteriolosclerosis.
- A total of 83.3% of cases were attributable to all 8 indices combined.
- However, after further adjustment for cases driven by other factors, a total of 67.5% of cases were attributable to all 8 neuropathologic indices combined.
Boyle PA, Yu L, Leurgans SE, Wilson RS, Brookmeyer R, Schneider JA, Bennett DA. Attributable risk of Alzheimer's dementia due to age‐related neuropathologies. [Published online ahead of print November 12, 2018]. Ann Neurol. doi:10.1002/ana.25380.
This Week's Must Reads
Hospital Readmission After Seizure Discharge, Neurology; ePub 2018 Dec 21; Blank, et al
VP Shunts and Post-Operative Complications Assessed, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2018 Dec 20; Linzey, et al
Disparities in Inter-Hospital Helicopter Transport, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis; ePub 2018 Dec 11; Sarrazin, et al
Mild-to-Moderate OSA Linked with Hypertension, Sleep; ePub 2018 Dec 22; Vgontzas, et al
Aspirin Reduces Stroke Risk in Women with Prior HDP, Neurology; ePub 2018 Dec 26; Miller, Boehme, et al
Must Reads in Alzheimer's & Cognition
Female Veterans, Military-Related Risk, and Dementia, Neurology; ePub 2018 Dec 12; Yaffe, et al
Retinal Signs and Risk of Incident Dementia, Alzheimers Dement; ePub 2018 Nov 12; Deal, et al
Impact of Amyloid-Beta, Tau on Cognitive Decline, Ann Neurol; ePub 2018 Dec 14; Sperling, et al
Vegetable/Fruit Intake Benefits Cognitive Function, Neurology; ePub 2018 Nov 21; Yuan, Fondell, et al
Alzheimer Dementia and Age-Related Neuropathologies, Ann Neurol; ePub 2018 Nov 12; Boyle, Yu, et al