Clinicians can predict a childhood cancer survivor’s risk for subsequent ischemic heart disease and stroke when they are provided with certain information, according to a study involving >20,000 individuals. Investigators looked for the development of ischemic heart disease and stroke through age 50 in participants from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study (n=13,060). Siblings (n=4,023) provided the baseline population risk, and findings were validated in 2 other cohorts (n=3,204). Among the results:
- In the study cohort, ischemic heart disease occurred in 265 patients; 295 experienced a stroke.
- Risk scores achieved both area under the curve and concordance statistics of 0.70 for ischemic heart disease.
- For stroke, these statistics were 0.63 and 0.66, respectively.
- Validation cohort statistics for ischemic heart disease were 0.66 to 0.67, respectively.
- For stroke they were 0.68 to 0.72, respectively.
- Cumulative incidence at age 50 in low-risk groups was <5%.
- It was 20% in high-risk groups.
Chow E, Chen Y, Hudson M, et al. Prediction of ischemic heart disease and stroke in survivors of childhood cancer. [Published online ahead of print November 2, 2017]. J Clin Oncol. doi:10.1200/JCO.2017.74.8673.
This Week's Must Reads
ASCO Guideline on Alcohol Consumption and Cancer, J Clin Oncol; 2018 Jan; LoConte, Brewster, et al
Cochrane On Bisphosphonates for Prostate Cancer, Cochrane; 2017 Dec 26; Macherey, Monsef, et al
Cochrane on Vaccine-Based Immunotherapy for NSCLC, Cochrane; 2017 Dec 16; Zhu, Li, Tiselius, et al
Stereotactic Radiotherapy System Approved For BC, FDA news release; 2017 Dec 22
Perjeta Approved for Certain Type of Early BC, Genentech news release; 2017 Dec 20
Must Reads in Patient & Survivor Care
Predicting CV Risk in Childhood Cancer Survivors, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2017 Nov 2; Chow, Chen, et al
Varubi Approved for Delayed Nausea and Vomiting, Tesaro news release; 2017 Oct 25
Cochrane on Oxycodone for Cancer-Related Pain, Cochrane; 2017 Aug 22; Schmidt-Hansen, et al
Cochrane Evaluates Survivorship Programs for BC, Cochrane; 2017 Aug 24; Cheng KKin Fong, et al
Fatigue-Reducing Psychological Therapy, Cochrane; 2017 Jul 14; Poort, Peters, et al