Although some parents worry that their children’s exposure to vaccines is weakening their immune system and increasing the risk of infections not covered by vaccines, a recent case-control study has failed to support that contention.
- To reach that conclusion, investigators gathered data from 6 US organizations that were contributing to the Vaccine Safety Datalink.
- Cases of non-vaccine-related infectious disease reported in the ED and hospitals were accumulated and matched to controls by age, sex, healthcare organization site, and chronic disease status.
- Non-vaccine-targeted infections among children aged 24 to 47 months were measured and a link was sought between these infections and exposure to vaccines from birth to 23 months.
- Among 944 patients, estimated mean vaccine antigen exposure was 240.6 for cases vs 242.9 for controls (P =.55).
- No significant differences were found in estimated cumulative antigen exposure between the 2 groups (odds ratio: 0.94).
Glanz JM, Newcomer SR, Daley MF, et al. Association between estimated cumulative vaccine antigen exposure through the first 23 months of life and non–vaccine-targeted infections from 24 through 47 months of age. JAMA Pediatr. 2018;319:906-913. doi:10.1001/jama.2018.0708.
This Week's Must Reads
Antibiotic Use Among US Older Adults, BMJ; ePub 2018 Jul 27; Olesen, Barnett, et al
Healthy Behaviors & Reduced Risk of Obesity , Mayo Clin Proc; ePub 2018 Jul 27; Shook, et al
Modifiable Risk Factors in New BP Categories, Am J Med; ePub 2018 Jul 26; Gu, Yue, et al
Psychological Screening for Youth with Abdominal Pain, Pediatrics; ePub 2018 Jul 25; Cunningham, et al
Low-Calorie Sweetened Beverages & Cardiometabolic Health, Circulation; ePub 2018 Jul 30; Johnson, et al
Must Reads in Vaccines
AAP Revision on Dismissing Vaccine-Refusing Families, JAMA Pediatr; ePub 2018 Apr 30; Deem, et al
Creating Preventive Vaccines for Lynch Syndrome, JAMA Oncology; ePub 2018 Apr 16; Chang, et al
Children with Autism Less Likely to Be Vaccinated, JAMA Pediatr; ePub 2018 Mar 26; Zerbo, et al
Antibody-Based Vaccines & Intracellular Pathogens, Curr Opin Immunol; ePub 2018 Apr 25; Casadevall
Designing an Effective Hepatitis C Vaccine, Trends Microbiol; ePub 2018 Apr 24; Kinchen, et al