Although some parents worry that their children’s exposure to vaccines is weakening their immune system and increasing the risk of infections not covered by vaccines, a recent case-control study has failed to support that contention.
- To reach that conclusion, investigators gathered data from 6 US organizations that were contributing to the Vaccine Safety Datalink.
- Cases of non-vaccine-related infectious disease reported in the ED and hospitals were accumulated and matched to controls by age, sex, healthcare organization site, and chronic disease status.
- Non-vaccine-targeted infections among children aged 24 to 47 months were measured and a link was sought between these infections and exposure to vaccines from birth to 23 months.
- Among 944 patients, estimated mean vaccine antigen exposure was 240.6 for cases vs 242.9 for controls (P =.55).
- No significant differences were found in estimated cumulative antigen exposure between the 2 groups (odds ratio: 0.94).
Glanz JM, Newcomer SR, Daley MF, et al. Association between estimated cumulative vaccine antigen exposure through the first 23 months of life and non–vaccine-targeted infections from 24 through 47 months of age. JAMA Pediatr. 2018;319:906-913. doi:10.1001/jama.2018.0708.
This Week's Must Reads
USPSTF: Screening for Prostate Cancer, JAMA; 2018 May 8; Grossman, et al
Smoke-Free Policies and Risk of CVD , Circulation; ePub 2018 May 7; Mayne, et al
Psychological Interventions & Chronic Pain Reduction, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2018 May 7; Niknejad, et al
Managing Blood Pressure in a Primary Care Setting, J Am Board Fam Med; 2018 May-Jun; Doane, et al
Cancer Incidence Rates in HIV-Infected Adults, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 May 8; Shiels, et al
Must Reads in Vaccines
Does an Adult Tdap Booster Makes Sense?, J Pediatr Infect Dis Soc; 2018 Feb 8; Halperin, et al
Vaccine Exposure & Non-Vaccine Related Infection, JAMA Pediatr; 2018 Mar 6; Glanz, et al
Developing Cost Effective Typhoid Fever Vaccines , J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Feb 12; Lo, Gupta, et al
Ineffective Pneumococcal Vaccine in Children, Open Forum Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Feb 17; Martin, et al
Genetically Redesigned RSV Vaccine is Promising , J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Mar 2; Buchholz, et al