Although patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) don’t respond as well to vaccines and are more likely to develop infection, their antibody response to common antigens encountered before they developed CKD does not appear to be compromised, according to a recent study. Among the findings:
- To evaluate immune responses to vaccines and pathogens in this patient population, investigators tested antibody responses to tetanus and diphtheria toxoids and to cytomegalovirus (CMV) and Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis (SEn).
- The toxoids and pathogens were given to age-matched CKD patients and controls.
- Both groups had similar levels of IgG against tetanus and diphtheria, which suggests they still have humoral memory responses to antigens they were exposed to early in life, before they developed kidney disease.
- Similarly, IgG responses to pathogens in CKD patients were not inferior to controls.
- Researchers concluded that CKD patients may respond poorly to new vaccines but evidently not to antigens encountered before the onset of CKD.
Wall NA, Dominguez-Medina CC, Faustini SE, et al. Humoral immunity to memory antigens and pathogens is maintained in patients with chronic kidney disease. PLoS One. 2018;13:e0195730. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0195730.
This Week's Must Reads
USPSTF: Screening for Intimate Partner Violence, JAMA; 2018 Oct 23/30; US Preventive Services Task Force
High HbA1c Variability and Risk of MACE, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Oct 23; Ghouse, et al
Omega 3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids & Healthy Aging, BMJ; ePub 2018 Oct 17; Lai, Otto, et al
Gaps in HIV PrEP by Race and Ethnicity, MMWR; 2018 Oct 19; Huang, Zhu, et al
Kidney Damage Biomarkers & Incident CKD in BP Reduction, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 Oct 23; Zhang, et al
Must Reads in Vaccines
AAP Revision on Dismissing Vaccine-Refusing Families, JAMA Pediatr; ePub 2018 Apr 30; Deem, et al
Creating Preventive Vaccines for Lynch Syndrome, JAMA Oncology; ePub 2018 Apr 16; Chang, et al
Children with Autism Less Likely to Be Vaccinated, JAMA Pediatr; ePub 2018 Mar 26; Zerbo, et al
Antibody-Based Vaccines & Intracellular Pathogens, Curr Opin Immunol; ePub 2018 Apr 25; Casadevall
Designing an Effective Hepatitis C Vaccine, Trends Microbiol; ePub 2018 Apr 24; Kinchen, et al