A second dose of tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis vaccine (Tdap), given to adults 10 years after the initial dose, is both safe and effective, according to a randomized controlled trial that included 1,330 adults between ages 18 and <65 years. Among the findings:
- Investigators gave either Tdap or tetanus-diphtheria (Td) vaccine to patients aged 8-12 years after a previous Tdap dose had been given and tracked adverse effects.
- There were no significant differences in injection site reactions, systemic reactions, or serious adverse reactions between the 2 vaccine groups.
- Antibody responses to each pertussis antigen in Tdap vaccinated groups were documented.
- Postvaccination tetanus antibody concentrations and diphtheria antibody concentrations were similar for Tdap and Td groups.
- Seroprotection against tetanus and diphtheria was ~99% in both groups.
Halperin SA, Donovan C, Marshall GS, et al. Randomized controlled trial of the safety and immunogenicity of revaccination with tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis vaccine (Tdap) in adults 10 years after a previous dose. [Published online ahead of print February 8, 2018]. J Pediatr Infect Dis Soc. doi:10.1093/jpids/pix113.
This Week's Must Reads
Do PCPs Recommend Medical Marijuana to Patients?, J Am Board Fam Med; 2018 Sep-Oct; Kondrad, et al
Intake of Sugars and Saturated Fats in US Children, Am J Clin Nutrit; ePub 2018 Sep 20; Wang, et al
Impact of Opioid Controlled Substance Agreements, Mayo Clin Proc; ePub 2018 Sep 20; Philpot, et al
MDD Screening Remains Low in Adolescents , J Pediatr; ePub 2018 Sep 21; Sekhar, et al
Subjective Wellbeing and Cardiometabolic Health, BMJ; ePub 2018 Sep 25; Wootton, et al
Must Reads in Vaccines
AAP Revision on Dismissing Vaccine-Refusing Families, JAMA Pediatr; ePub 2018 Apr 30; Deem, et al
Creating Preventive Vaccines for Lynch Syndrome, JAMA Oncology; ePub 2018 Apr 16; Chang, et al
Children with Autism Less Likely to Be Vaccinated, JAMA Pediatr; ePub 2018 Mar 26; Zerbo, et al
Antibody-Based Vaccines & Intracellular Pathogens, Curr Opin Immunol; ePub 2018 Apr 25; Casadevall
Designing an Effective Hepatitis C Vaccine, Trends Microbiol; ePub 2018 Apr 24; Kinchen, et al