A second dose of tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis vaccine (Tdap), given to adults 10 years after the initial dose, is both safe and effective, according to a randomized controlled trial that included 1,330 adults between ages 18 and <65 years. Among the findings:
- Investigators gave either Tdap or tetanus-diphtheria (Td) vaccine to patients aged 8-12 years after a previous Tdap dose had been given and tracked adverse effects.
- There were no significant differences in injection site reactions, systemic reactions, or serious adverse reactions between the 2 vaccine groups.
- Antibody responses to each pertussis antigen in Tdap vaccinated groups were documented.
- Postvaccination tetanus antibody concentrations and diphtheria antibody concentrations were similar for Tdap and Td groups.
- Seroprotection against tetanus and diphtheria was ~99% in both groups.
Halperin SA, Donovan C, Marshall GS, et al. Randomized controlled trial of the safety and immunogenicity of revaccination with tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis vaccine (Tdap) in adults 10 years after a previous dose. [Published online ahead of print February 8, 2018]. J Pediatr Infect Dis Soc. doi:10.1093/jpids/pix113.
This Week's Must Reads
USPSTF: Screening for Prostate Cancer, JAMA; 2018 May 8; Grossman, et al
Smoke-Free Policies and Risk of CVD , Circulation; ePub 2018 May 7; Mayne, et al
Psychological Interventions & Chronic Pain Reduction, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2018 May 7; Niknejad, et al
Managing Blood Pressure in a Primary Care Setting, J Am Board Fam Med; 2018 May-Jun; Doane, et al
Cancer Incidence Rates in HIV-Infected Adults, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 May 8; Shiels, et al
Must Reads in Vaccines
Does an Adult Tdap Booster Makes Sense?, J Pediatr Infect Dis Soc; 2018 Feb 8; Halperin, et al
Vaccine Exposure & Non-Vaccine Related Infection, JAMA Pediatr; 2018 Mar 6; Glanz, et al
Developing Cost Effective Typhoid Fever Vaccines , J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Feb 12; Lo, Gupta, et al
Ineffective Pneumococcal Vaccine in Children, Open Forum Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Feb 17; Martin, et al
Genetically Redesigned RSV Vaccine is Promising , J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Mar 2; Buchholz, et al