Declining rates of vascular disease mortality in the US have led to a diversification of forms of diabetes-related mortality with important implications for clinical management, prevention, and disease monitoring. Using data from the National Health Interview Survey Linked Mortality files from 1985 to 2015, researchers estimated age-specific death rates and proportional mortality from all causes, vascular causes, cancers, and non-vascular, non-cancer causes among US adults by diabetes status. They found:
- From 1988-1994, to 2010-2015, all-cause death rates declined by 20% every 10 years among US adults with diabetes.
- Death from vascular causes decreased 32% every 10 years, deaths from cancers decreased 16% every 10 years, and the rate of non-vascular, non-cancer deaths declined by 8% every 10 years.
- Death rates also declined significantly among people without diagnosed diabetes in all 4 major mortality categories.
- However, the declines in death rates were significantly greater among those with diabetes for all-causes, vascular causes, and non-vascular, non-cancer causes.
- Among those with diabetes, all-cause mortality rates declined most in men and adults aged 65-74 years.
Gregg EW, Cheng YJ, Srinivasan M, et al. Trends in cause-specific mortality among adults with and without diabetes in the USA: An epidemiologic analysis of linked national survey and vital statistics data. [Published online ahead of print May 18, 2018]. Lancet. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(18)30314-3.
This Week's Must Reads
Prenatal Tdap Vaccination & ASD Risk, Pediatrics; ePub 2018 Aug 13; Becerra-Culqui, et al
Vaccination Trends in Patients with Heart Failure, JACC Heart Fail; ePub 2018 Aug 7; Bhatt, et al
Effect of Needle Size for Vaccination Procedures, Cochrane Library; ePub 2018 Aug 9; Beirne, et al
Occupational Physicians & Adult Immunization, J Occup Environ Med; ePub 2018 Aug 8; Kirupakaran, et al
Serologic Response to Pneumococcal Vaccination, BMC Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Aug 6; Ingels, et al
Must Reads in Diabetes
Aspirin for Primary CV Prevention in Diabetes, N Engl J Med; ePub 2018 Aug 26; ASCEND Study Collaborative Group
Smoking Cessation & Body Weight in T2D, N Engl J Med; 2018 Aug 16; Hu, Zong, et al
CV Mortality Among Adults with Diabetes, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Aug 21; Cheng, et al
Legacy Effect of Early Glycemic Control in Diabetes, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Aug 13; Laiteerapong, et al
Interrupting Sedentary Behavior in Children, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Aug 6; Broadney, et al