Type 2 diabetes (T2D) accounts for >91% of all diabetes cases among US adults, with the prevalence of T2D at 8.5% of the population, a recent study found. The population-based study estimated the prevalence of diagnosed total diabetes, type 1 diabetes (T1D), and T2D, in the US general population and the proportions of each among US adults with a diagnosis of diabetes in 2016 and 2017. Adults aged ≥20 years (n=58,186) were included as a nationally representative sample of the civilian, non-institutionalized US population. Among the findings:
- Among the 58,186 included adults, 6,317 had received a diagnosis of diabetes.
- The prevalence of diagnosed T1D and T2D in 2016 and 2017 among US adults was 0.5% and 8.5%, respectively.
- Among those with diabetes, the weighted percentage of T1D and T2D was 5.6% and 91.2%, respectively.
- The percentage of T1D was higher among younger adults, non-Hispanic whites, those with higher education level, and those with lower body mass index (BMI).
- The percentage of T2D was higher among older adults, non-Hispanic Asians, those with lower education level, and those with higher BMI.
Xu G, Liu B, Sun Y, et al. Prevalence of diagnosed type 1 and type 2 diabetes among US adults in 2016 and 2017: Population based study. [Published online ahead of print August 27, 2018]. BMJ. doi:10.1136/bmj.k1497.
This Week's Must Reads
Reactogenicity & Immunogenicity of Tdap in Pregnancy, Vaccine; ePub 2018 Sep 13; Fortner, et al
Barriers to Implementation of Vaccine Standards, Vaccine; ePub 2018 Sep 20; Srivastav, et al
Intra-Season Waning of Influenza Vaccine Efficacy, Open Forum Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Sep 10; Ray, et al
Pneumococcal Disease in Older Adults After PCV13, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Sep 20; Pelton, et al
Mumps Outbreaks in Vaccinated US Populations, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Sep 10; Clemmons, et al
Must Reads in Diabetes
Statins for Prevention of CVD in the Elderly , BMJ; ePub 2018 Sep 5; Ramos, Comas-Cuff, et al
GD & Maternal Disorders of Glucose Metabolism, JAMA; 2018 Sep 11; Lowe, Scholtens, et al
Treatment Intensification Guidelines for T2D , Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 Sep 4; Roglic, et al
Prevalence of Diabetes Among US Adults, BMJ; ePub 2018 Aug 27; Xu, Liu, et al
Aspirin for Primary CV Prevention in Diabetes, N Engl J Med; ePub 2018 Aug 26; ASCEND Study Collaborative Group