Self-reported consumption of both sugar-sweetened beverages (SSBs) and low-calorie sweetened beverages (LCS) beverages had been declining in the US; however, the use of alternatives to SSBs, with a focus on water, should be encouraged. This according to a new science advisory from the American Heart Association (AHA) that reviews evidence from observational studies and clinical trials assessing the cardiometabolic outcomes of LCS beverages. Among the AHA conclusions and recommendations:
- The use of LCS beverages may be an effective strategy to help control energy intake and promote weight loss.
- However, there is evidence on the potential adverse effects of LCS beverages relative to potential benefits.
- Therefore, it is prudent to advise against prolonged consumption of LCS beverages by children.
- In adults, LCS beverages may be a useful replacement strategy to reduce intake of SSBs.
- The use of other alternatives to SSBs, with a focus on water (plain, carbonated, and unsweetened flavored), should be encouraged.
Johnson RK, Lichtenstein AH, Anderson CAM, et al. Low-calorie sweetened beverages and cardiometabolic health. A science advisory from the American Heart Association. [Published online ahead of print July 30, 2018]. Circulation. doi:10.1161/CIR.0000000000000569.
This Week's Must Reads
Prenatal Tdap Vaccination & ASD Risk, Pediatrics; ePub 2018 Aug 13; Becerra-Culqui, et al
Vaccination Trends in Patients with Heart Failure, JACC Heart Fail; ePub 2018 Aug 7; Bhatt, et al
Effect of Needle Size for Vaccination Procedures, Cochrane Library; ePub 2018 Aug 9; Beirne, et al
Occupational Physicians & Adult Immunization, J Occup Environ Med; ePub 2018 Aug 8; Kirupakaran, et al
Serologic Response to Pneumococcal Vaccination, BMC Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Aug 6; Ingels, et al
Must Reads in Cardiology
Aspirin for Primary CV Prevention in Diabetes, N Engl J Med; ePub 2018 Aug 26; ASCEND Study Collaborative Group
CV Mortality Among Adults with Diabetes, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Aug 21; Cheng, et al
Does Dietary Diversity Promote a Healthy Weight?, Circulation; ePub 2018 Aug 9; de Oliveira, et al
USPSTF: Recommendation in Screening for AF, JAMA; 2018 Aug 7; US Preventive Services Task Force
Contemporary Management of Patients with PE, Am J Med; ePub 2018 Aug 10; Secemsky, et al