Vitamin D supplementation may significantly reduce serum fasting plasma glucose (FPG), HbA1c, and homeostatic model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR), a recent study found, while helping to control glycemic response and improve insulin sensitivity in patients with type 2 diabetes (T2D). The meta-analysis sought to determine the effect of vitamin D supplementation and improve vitamin D status on glycemia and insulin resistance patients with T2D. Researchers found:
- 24 controlled trials with 1,528 patients with T2D were included.
- There was a significant reduction in HbA1c (mean difference, -0.30%), FPG (mean difference, -4.9 mg/dL), and HOMA-IR (mean difference, -0.66), following vitamin D supplementation.
- There was also a significant increase in serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels (overall increase of 17±2/4 ng/mL).
Mirhosseini N, Vatanparast H, Mazidi M, Kimball SM. The effect of improved serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D status on glycemic control in diabetic patients: A meta-analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102(9):3097-3110. doi:10.1210/jc.2017-01024.
Vitamin D deficiency is common among persons with type 2 diabetes.1 In observational trials, individuals with low vitamin D have an increased risk of developing diabetes.2 The question then is whether supplementation with vitamin D is effective at improving blood glucose control. In this large meta-analysis, it appears that vitamin D supplementation at a dose of 4000 IU per day does provide significant improvement in HbA1c outcomes. —Neil Skolnik, MD
- Mitri J, Muraru MD, Pittas AG. Vitamin D and type 2 diabetes: a systematic review. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2011;65(9):1005–1015. doi:10.1038/ejcn.2011.118.
- Song Y, Wang L, Pittas AG, et al. Blood 25-hydroxy vitamin D levels and incident type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of prospective studies. Diabetes Care. 2013;36(5):1422–1428. doi:10.2337/dc12-0962.
This Week's Must Reads
TNF inhibitor prices rose despite increased drug class competition, San-Juan-Rodriguez A et al. JAMA Intern Med. 2019 Feb 18. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2018.7656
List of medications linked to drug-induced lupus expands, Arnaud L et al. Ann Rheum Dis. 2019 Feb 4. doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2018-214598
HCV-infected patients in the ED should be tested for advanced liver fibrosis, Yu-Hsiang Hsieh Y-H. Am J Emerg Med. 2019;37:286-90
Baby boomers account for more than 74% of chronic HCV cases, Moore KJ et al. J Infect Public Health. 2019 Jan-Feb;12(1):32-6.
PERT alerts improve pulmonary embolism outcomes, Benninghoff M. Critical Care Congress 2019, Abstract 490
Must Reads in Diabetes
Diabetic kidney disease, retinopathy associated with PAD in patients with foot ulcers, Megallaa MH et al. Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2019 Mar-Apr;13(2):1287-92.
Hospitalization Rates in Young-Onset Diabetes, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2019 Jan 15; Ke, Lau, et al
Long-Term Absolute Risk for CVD by FG Level, Diabetes Care; ePub 2019 Jan 7; Bancks, et al
Prediabetes Status & Lifestyle Modification , J Am Board Fam Med; 2019 Jan 4; Owei, et al
Second-Line ADMs & CV Events in T2D, JAMA Netw Open; ePub 2018 Dec 21; O’Brien, et al