Type 2 diabetes (T2D) accounts for >91% of all diabetes cases among US adults, with the prevalence of T2D at 8.5% of the population, a recent study found. The population-based study estimated the prevalence of diagnosed total diabetes, type 1 diabetes (T1D), and T2D, in the US general population and the proportions of each among US adults with a diagnosis of diabetes in 2016 and 2017. Adults aged ≥20 years (n=58,186) were included as a nationally representative sample of the civilian, non-institutionalized US population. Among the findings:
- Among the 58,186 included adults, 6,317 had received a diagnosis of diabetes.
- The prevalence of diagnosed T1D and T2D in 2016 and 2017 among US adults was 0.5% and 8.5%, respectively.
- Among those with diabetes, the weighted percentage of T1D and T2D was 5.6% and 91.2%, respectively.
- The percentage of T1D was higher among younger adults, non-Hispanic whites, those with higher education level, and those with lower body mass index (BMI).
- The percentage of T2D was higher among older adults, non-Hispanic Asians, those with lower education level, and those with higher BMI.
Xu G, Liu B, Sun Y, et al. Prevalence of diagnosed type 1 and type 2 diabetes among US adults in 2016 and 2017: Population based study. [Published online ahead of print August 27, 2018]. BMJ. doi:10.1136/bmj.k1497.
This Week's Must Reads
Acellular Pertussis Vaccine Is Safe & Effective, JAMA Pediatr; 2018 Nov; Wood, Nolan, et al
Influenza and Pertussis Vaccination in Pregnancy, Vaccine; ePub 2018 Nov 3; Wilcox, Bottrell, et al
Influenza Vaccine Efficacy in High-Risk Patients, Vaccine; ePub 2018 Nov 9; Shang, Chung, et al
Childhood Vaccination Coverage Rates Compared, J Paediatr Child Health; ePub 2018 Nov 13; Baumann, et al
Measles Immunity After Vaccination in Children with HIV, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Nov 12; Mutsaerts, et al
Must Reads in Diabetes
Rotating Night Shift Work & Risk of T2D, BMJ; ePub 2018 Nov 21; Shan, Li, et al
BMI & Risk of Postpregnancy T2D in Women with HDP , Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Nov 19; Timpka, et al
Diabetes Outcomes in Patients by PCPs, NPs, or PAs, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 Nov 20; Jackson, et al
Diabetes-Related Lower Extremity Amputations, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Nov 8; Geiss, et al
Peer Support Impact in Adults with T2D & Depression, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Oct 29; Cherrington, et al