Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are highly prevalent among persons infected with HIV and receiving care in Washington, DC, and HIV transmission risk is considerable at the time of STI diagnosis, a recent study found. Researchers evaluated the incidence and demographic factors associated with chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis among HIV-infected persons enrolled at 13 DC cohort sites from 2011 to 2015, as well as assessing covariates of risk for incident STIs and estimating HIV transmission risk. They found:
- 6.7% (451/6,672) participants developed an incident STI during a median follow-up of 32.5 months.
- 30% of participants had ≥2 STI episodes.
- Incidence rate of any STI was 3.8 cases per 100 person-years and was highest among those aged 18 to 34 years (10.8).
- Hispanic ethnicity, MSM risk, and higher nadir CD4 counts strongly associated with STIs.
- Among those with STI, 41.8% had a detectable viral load (VL) within 1 month of STI diagnosis, and 14.6% had a VL ≥1,500 copies/mL.
Lucar J, Hart R, Rayeed N, et al. Sexually transmitted infections among HIV-infected individuals in the District of Columbia and estimated HIV transmission risk: Data from the DC cohort. [Published online ahead of print January 24, 2018]. Open Forum Infect Dis. doi:10.1093/ofid/ofy017.
This Week's Must Reads
IDSA Updates Seasonal Influenza Guidelines, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Dec 19; Uyeki, et al
Efficacy of Cell-Cultured & Egg-Based Influenza Vaccines, J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Dec 18; Izurieta, et al
Prevention of Influenza Hospitalization in US Adults, J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Dec 14; Ferdinands, et al
Clinical & Virologic & Characteristics of Zika Virus Infection, Open Forum Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Dec 19; El Sahly, et al
Importations of Measles Virus in the US, J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Dec 9; Lee, et al
Must Reads in HIV
HIV-associated Cryptococcal Meningitis at Higher CD4 Counts, J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Oct 16; Tugume, et al
Sex Differences in HIV-associated Cognitive Impairment, AIDS; ePub 2018 Oct 4; Sundermann, et al
Parenting Desires in Men & Women Living with HIV, Open Forum Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Sep 15; Cohn, et al
Mobile Health Intervention for PrEP in Young MSM, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Sep 15; Liu, et al
Food Insecurity & Inflammation in Women Living with HIV, J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Aug 27; Leddy, et al