The Infectious Diseases Society of America (ISDA) has issued updated clinical practice guidelines on diagnosis, treatment and chemoprophylaxis with antiviral medications, and institutional outbreak management of seasonal influenza. The guidelines consider the care of children and adults, including special populations such as pregnant and postpartum women and immunocompromised patients. Among the questions addressed in the guideline recommendations:
- Which patients should be tested for influenza?
- Which specimens should be collected when testing for influenza?
- What tests should be used to diagnose influenza?
- Which patients with suspected or confirmed influenza should be treated with antivirals?
- When should testing be done for infection with an antiviral-resistant influenza virus?
- Who should be considered for antiviral chemoprophylaxis to prevent influenza in the absence of exposure or an institutional outbreak?
- Which antiviral drugs should be used for preexposure chemoprophylaxis to prevent influenza?
Uyeki TM, Bernstein HH, Bradley JS, et al. Clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America: 2018 update on diagnosis, treatment, chemoprophylaxis, and institutional outbreak management of seasonal influenza. [Published online ahead of print December 19, 2018]. Clin Infect Dis. doi:10.1093/cid/ciy866.
This Week's Must Reads
Enterovirus in at-risk children associated with later celiac disease, Kahrs CR et al. BMJ. 2019 Feb 13. doi: 10.1136/bmj.l231
HCV-infected patients in the ED should be tested for advanced liver fibrosis, Yu-Hsiang Hsieh Y-H. Am J Emerg Med. 2019;37:286-90
Baby boomers account for more than 74% of chronic HCV cases, Moore KJ et al. J Infect Public Health. 2019 Jan-Feb;12(1):32-6.
Possible mechanism for fluoroquinolone-induced aortopathy uncovered, Guzzardi DG et al. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019;157:109-19.
Influenza Vaccination Effectiveness in the US, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2019 Feb 2; Rolfes, et al
Must Reads in Clinical Guidelines
IDSA Updates Seasonal Influenza Guidelines, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Dec 19; Uyeki, et al
New IDSA Guideline for Management of OPAT, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Nov 13; Norris, et al
IDSA/ASM Lab Guide for Diagnosis of IDs, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Jun 28; Miller, et al
ACIP Recommends Hepatitis B Vaccine for Adults, MMWR; 2018 Apr 20; Schillie, Harris, et al
New IDSA/SHEA Clostridium Difficile Guidelines , Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Feb 15; McDonald, et al