Inappropriate antimicrobial use after initial Clostridium difficile infection (iCDI) diagnosis was associated with higher risk of recurrent CDI, a recent study found. Researchers reviewed medication administration records for all patients from the Greater Los Angeles Veterans Administration with new CDI from 2015-2016 to determine appropriateness of all non-CDI antimicrobials prescribed within 90 days pre- and post-initial CDI positive testing. They found:
- 210 patients were diagnosed with new-onset iCDI, 140 met inclusion criteria.
- Of antimicrobial courses prescribed, 40.6% or pre-iCDI were inappropriate compared with 43.1% of post-iCDI.
- 33 patients developed recurrent CDI.
- After adjustment for risk factors, inappropriate antimicrobial use was associated with a significant increased risk of recurrence compared with appropriate use alone (OR, 6.19).
- Antimicrobial use in general was associated with increased recurrence vs no antimicrobial use post-iCDI (OR, 2.6).
Watson RL, Graber CJ. Lack of improvement in antimicrobial prescribing after a diagnosis of Clostridium difficile and impact on recurrence. [Published online ahead of print May 17, 2018]. Am J Infect Contr. doi:10.1016/j.ajic.2018.04.213.
This Week's Must Reads
IDSA Updates Seasonal Influenza Guidelines, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Dec 19; Uyeki, et al
Efficacy of Cell-Cultured & Egg-Based Influenza Vaccines, J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Dec 18; Izurieta, et al
Prevention of Influenza Hospitalization in US Adults, J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Dec 14; Ferdinands, et al
Clinical & Virologic & Characteristics of Zika Virus Infection, Open Forum Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Dec 19; El Sahly, et al
Importations of Measles Virus in the US, J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Dec 9; Lee, et al
Must Reads in Antimicrobial-resistant infections
PCT-Guided Antibiotic Therapy in LRTIs, Open Forum Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Dec 3; Townsend, et al
Pyrosequencing for the Clinical Management of TB, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Nov 1; Lowenthal, et al
GI Microbiota Disruption with CRPA in ICU Patients, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Nov 1; Pettigrew, et al
New IDSA Guideline for Management of OPAT, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Nov 13; Norris, et al
OPAT Outcomes in SNFs vs HHCs, Open Forum Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Oct 24; Townsend, et al