In an acute care setting, prospective audit and feedback should be the cornerstone of antibiotic stewardship programs, and both physician leadership and pharmacists with expertise in stewardship are crucial for success. This according to a recent cross-sectional survey of members of 3 infectious diseases subspecialty societies actively involved in antibiotic stewardship. Among the survey details:
- 244 respondents from a variety of acute care settings were included.
- Prior authorization for select antibiotics, antibiotic reviews with prospective audit and feedback, and guideline development were common strategies.
- 85% of surveyed programs demonstrated effectiveness in at least 1 outcome in the prior 2 years.
- Each 0.50 increase in physician and pharmacist full-time equivalent support predicted a 1.48-fold increase in the odds of demonstrating effectiveness.
- Most programs noted significant barriers to success.
Doernberg SB, Abbo LM, Burdette SD, et al. Essential resources and strategies for antibiotic stewardship programs in the acute care setting. [Published online ahead of print March 26, 2018]. Clin Infect Dis. doi:10.1093/cid/ciy255.
This Week's Must Reads
Predictors of Longitudinal PrEP Adherence Among MSM, J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Jun 22; Pasipanodya, et al
Decreasing Incidence of SSTIs at US EDs, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Jun 15; Morgan, et al
ID Consultation & Clinical Outcomes in SAB, Open Forum Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Jun 14; Yousaf, et al
Prevalence of Trichomonas Vaginalis in US males, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Jun 9; Daugherty, et al
Pregnancy Outcomes in Women with HBV , Open Forum Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Jun 9; Bajema, et al
Must Reads in Antimicrobial Resistance
Antimicrobial Therapy for Acute Otitis Media, J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Jun 5; Lewnard, et al
Antimicrobial Prescribing After CDI Diagnosis, Am J Infect Contr; ePub 2018 May 17; Watson, et al
Costs of MRSA vs MSSA Infections in the US, Open Forum Infect Dis; ePub 2018 May 12; Klein, et al
Antimicrobial Stewardship in the ED to Improve UTI, Open Forum Infect Dis; ePub 2018 May 2; Jorgensen, et al
Environmental Panels to Combat MRSA and VRE, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 May 2; Cassone, et al