A newly-tested tool can estimate the risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in patients with peripherally inserted central catheters (PICCs), according to a study involving more than 23,000 individuals. Participants with upper extremity DVT were divided into 4 risk classes. The Michigan PICC-DVT Risk Score was then tested and validated to determine factors linked with PICC-DVT. Among the results:
- 2% of patients developed PICC-DVT.
- Risk factors included DVT history, multi-lumen PICC, active cancer, presence of another central venous catheter, and white blood cell count >12,000.
- Thrombosis rates were 0.9% for class I, 1.6% for class II, 2.7% for class III, and 4.7% for class IV.
- Predicted probabilities were 0.9%, 1.5%, 2.6%, and 4.5%, respectively.
- Patients in class II were 50% more likely to develop PICC-DVT than those in class I.
- Patients in classes III and IV were nearly 3 and >5 times more likely, respectively.
Chopra V, Kaatz S, Conlon A, et al. The Michigan Risk Score to predict peripherally inserted central catheter-associated thrombosis. [Published online ahead of print September 13, 2017]. J Thromb Haemost. doi:10.1111/jth.13794.
This Week's Must Reads
FDA postmarketing requirements, Nabhan C et al. JAMA Oncol. 2018 May 10. doi:10.1001/jamaoncol.2018.0610.
Upswing in childhood lymphomas, Siegel DA et al. ASPHO 2018, Abstract 605.
Dapagliflozin suppresses hepcidin, Ghanim HA et al. AACE 2018, Abstract 228.
Methotrexate or nelarabine plus chemo in pediatric T-ALL or T-L, Dunsmore KP et al. ASCO 2018, Abstract 10500.
Blood type is diarrhea destiny, Kumar P et al. J Clin Invest. 2018 May 17; doi: 10.1172/JCI97659.
Must Reads in Thrombosis
New cancer drugs linked to fewer arrhythmias, Nickel A et al. annual meeting of the American College of Cardiology ACC 18, Abstract #900-06.
Increase kidney function monitoring if INR exceeds 4.0, Traquair H et al. biennial summit of the Thrombosis & Hemostasis Societies of North America 2018, Poster 79.
2 approaches to diagnosing heparin-induced thrombocytopenia, Pishko A et al. Biennial summit of the Thrombosis & Hemostasis Societies of North America (THSNA) 2018, Abstract 103
VTE prophylaxis unaddressed in acutely ill patients, Amin A et al. The biennial summit of the Thrombosis & Hemostasis Societies of North America 2018, Poster 51.
Warfarin users take 10 other drugs on average, Jacobson A et al. The biennial summit of the Thrombosis & Hemostasis Societies of North America 2018. Poster 2