Hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT) health professionals reported burnout, moral distress, and inadequate work-life balance in a cross-sectional, web-based survey involving >1,500 providers. Still, overall career satisfaction remained high. Participants included nurses, physicians, pharmacists, and social workers. They completed a web-based survey assessing burnout, emotional exhaustion, depersonalization, moral distress, work-life balance, and career satisfaction. Among the results:
- The overall prevalence of burnout was 40%, a rate that differed across disciplines.
- >One-half of pharmacists reported burnout, which was the highest rate noted.
- <One-third of social workers reported such, the lowest rate noted.
- Moral Distress Scale scores differed by discipline, ranging between 0 and 336.
- Pharmacists had the highest average moral distress score (62.9); social workers had the lowest (42.7).
- Those reporting burnout were more likely to describe inadequate work-life balance and low career satisfaction.
- Despite these findings, there was a high level of career satisfaction across disciplines overall.
Neumann J, Mau LW, Virani S, et al. Burnout, moral distress, work-life balance and career satisfaction among hematopoietic cell transplantation professionals. [Published online ahead of print November 28, 2017]. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. doi:10.1016/j.bbmt.2017.11.015.
This Week's Must Reads
Tamibarotene vs. ATRA in APL, Source: Takeshita A et al. ASH 2017, abstract 642.
HIT Incidence During Obstetric Hospital Admissions, Am J Perinatol.; ePub 2018 Feb 8; Sagaram, et al
Endoscopy for GI Bleeds in Severe Thrombocytopenia, Gastrointest Endosc; ePub 2018 Feb 1; Ramos, et al
Does This Predict Acute Pain in Children with SCD? , Am J Hematol; ePub 2018 Jan 25; Willen, et al
Ibuprofen Use in Alcohol-Related Thrombocytopenia , Hosp Pharm; 2018 Feb; Muhammad, Tomko, et al
Must Reads in Practice Management
Moral Distress in HCT Professionals Evaluated, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Nov 28; Neumann, et al
Weekend vs Weekday Leukemia Admissions, Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk; ePub 2017 Aug 8; Parikh, et al
Outcomes in Multiple Myeloma Patients Evaluated , Ann Hematol; ePub 2016 Dec 2; Berenson, et al