Black patients appear to experience less disease relapse than whites following post-transplant cyclophosphamide-based haploidentical donor transplantation (PTCy-HIDT), according to an analysis involving 203 individuals. Participants were a median age of 53 years and comprised blacks (n=80) and whites (n=123) who underwent first PTCy-HIDT for hematologic malignancies at a single center. Peripheral blood stem cell was used in two-thirds of patients, and 4 in every 10 received myeloablative conditioning. Among the results:
- 3-year overall survival, disease-free survival, and relapse rates in blacks were 72%, 65%, and 25%, respectively.
- These rates in whites were 50%, 45%, and 39%, respectively.
- Non-relapse mortality, acute graft-versus-host disease (GVHD), and moderate-to-severe chronic GVHD rates were similar in both groups.
- Improved survival was seen in all black patient subgroups.
- Blacks were 53% more likely than whites to experience better overall survival.
- They were 51% more likely to experience better disease-free survival.
Solomon S, Zhang X, Holland H, Morris L, Solh M, Bashey A. Superior survival of black versus white patients following post-transplant cyclophosphamide-based haploidentical transplantation for adults with hematologic malignancy. [Published online ahead of print January 25, 2018]. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. doi:10.1016/j.bbmt.2018.01.024.
This Week's Must Reads
Tamibarotene vs. ATRA in APL, Source: Takeshita A et al. ASH 2017, abstract 642.
HIT Incidence During Obstetric Hospital Admissions, Am J Perinatol.; ePub 2018 Feb 8; Sagaram, et al
Endoscopy for GI Bleeds in Severe Thrombocytopenia, Gastrointest Endosc; ePub 2018 Feb 1; Ramos, et al
Does This Predict Acute Pain in Children with SCD? , Am J Hematol; ePub 2018 Jan 25; Willen, et al
Ibuprofen Use in Alcohol-Related Thrombocytopenia , Hosp Pharm; 2018 Feb; Muhammad, Tomko, et al
Must Reads in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
Undertreatment of Newly-Diagnosed MM Evaluated, Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk; ePub 2018 Feb 3; Fakhri, et al
Blacks Fare Better After This Type of Transplant , Biol Blood Marrow Transplant.; ePub 2018 Jan 25; Solomon, et al
Medication Adherence’s Impact on Outcomes in MM , Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk; ePub 2018 Feb 3; Gupta, et al
Predicting Long-Term Survival After Allo-HCT , Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2018 Jan 21; Patel, et al
Advance Directives Underused in These Patients, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2018 Jan 23; Cappell, et al