Acute kidney injury (AKI) risk in patients undergoing hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT) seems to vary depending on which antimicrobial medications are used, researchers concluded after conducting a single-center retrospective review involving 170 individuals. Participants underwent either autologous (n=110) or allogeneic (n=60) HCT. Investigators compared AKI incidence in patients who received vancomycin with either piperacillin/tazobactam concomitantly or cefepime alone prior to engraftment. Among the results:
- Overall, 68% of patients who received piperacillin/tazobactam experienced AKI, vs 27% of those who were given cefepime.
- Those receiving antimicrobials concomitantly were >5 time more likely to experience AKI after adjusting for hypotension.
- Time to onset of AKI was more common within 48 hours of concomitant antimicrobial use (53% and 26%, respectively).
- AKI incidence in autologous recipients in the 2 medication groups was 59% and 22%, respectively.
- In the allogeneic sub-group, AKI incidence was 79% and 39%, respectively.
- AKI resolution by discharge date was similar.
Clemmons A, Bech C, Pantin J, Ahmad I. Acute kidney injury in hematopoietic cell transplantation patients receiving vancomycin and piperacillin/tazobactam versus vancomycin and cefepime. [Published online ahead of print December 29, 2017]. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. doi:10.1016/j.bbmt.2017.12.799.
This Week's Must Reads
FDA postmarketing requirements, Nabhan C et al. JAMA Oncol. 2018 May 10. doi:10.1001/jamaoncol.2018.0610.
Upswing in childhood lymphomas, Siegel DA et al. ASPHO 2018, Abstract 605.
Dapagliflozin suppresses hepcidin, Ghanim HA et al. AACE 2018, Abstract 228.
Methotrexate or nelarabine plus chemo in pediatric T-ALL or T-L, Dunsmore KP et al. ASCO 2018, Abstract 10500.
Blood type is diarrhea destiny, Kumar P et al. J Clin Invest. 2018 May 17; doi: 10.1172/JCI97659.
Must Reads in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
Romiplostim safety confirmed in thrombocytopenic patients with low-risk myelodysplastic syndromes, Kantarjian H et al. The Lancet Haematology March 2018, Pages e117-e126 https://doi.org/10.1016/S2352-3026(18)30016-4
Simplifying the URD Selection Process for HCT, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant.; ePub 2018 Feb 14; Shaw, Logan, et al
Genetic Risk Model for MDS Shown to Be Feasible, Am J Hematol; ePub 2018 Feb 24; Gangat, et al
This Predicts Risk of Early Relapse, Death in MM , Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2018 Feb 23; Cowan, et al
Undertreatment of Newly-Diagnosed MM Evaluated, Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk; ePub 2018 Feb 3; Fakhri, et al