Acute kidney injury (AKI) risk in patients undergoing hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT) seems to vary depending on which antimicrobial medications are used, researchers concluded after conducting a single-center retrospective review involving 170 individuals. Participants underwent either autologous (n=110) or allogeneic (n=60) HCT. Investigators compared AKI incidence in patients who received vancomycin with either piperacillin/tazobactam concomitantly or cefepime alone prior to engraftment. Among the results:
- Overall, 68% of patients who received piperacillin/tazobactam experienced AKI, vs 27% of those who were given cefepime.
- Those receiving antimicrobials concomitantly were >5 time more likely to experience AKI after adjusting for hypotension.
- Time to onset of AKI was more common within 48 hours of concomitant antimicrobial use (53% and 26%, respectively).
- AKI incidence in autologous recipients in the 2 medication groups was 59% and 22%, respectively.
- In the allogeneic sub-group, AKI incidence was 79% and 39%, respectively.
- AKI resolution by discharge date was similar.
Clemmons A, Bech C, Pantin J, Ahmad I. Acute kidney injury in hematopoietic cell transplantation patients receiving vancomycin and piperacillin/tazobactam versus vancomycin and cefepime. [Published online ahead of print December 29, 2017]. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. doi:10.1016/j.bbmt.2017.12.799.
This Week's Must Reads
Study examines rehabilitative palliative care in cancer, Nottelmann L et al. 2018 Palliative and Supportive Care in Oncology Symposium Abstract 75
HSCT performs well in scleroderma-related lung disease, Goldin J et al. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2018;70(Suppl 10): Abstract 901
Phase 2 results for combo therapy in relapsed AML, Daver N et al. Cancer Discov. 2018 Nov 8. doi: 10.1158/2159-8290.CD-18-0774
RNA editing contributes to myeloma pathogenesis, Teoh PJ et al. Blood. 2018;132(12):1304-17
Transcription factor networks in AML, Assi SA et al. Nat Genet. 2018 Nov 12. doi: 10.1038/s41588-018-0270-1
Must Reads in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
Gene sequencing bone marrow in myelodysplastic syndrome, Duncavage EJ et al. N Engl J Med 2018;379:1028-41.
JAK1/2 inhibitors tied to increased B-cell lymphoma risk, Porpaczy E et al. Blood. 2018 Jun 14. doi: 10.1182/blood-2017-10-810739.
Romiplostim safety confirmed in thrombocytopenic patients with low-risk myelodysplastic syndromes, Kantarjian H et al. The Lancet Haematology March 2018, Pages e117-e126 https://doi.org/10.1016/S2352-3026(18)30016-4
Simplifying the URD Selection Process for HCT, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant.; ePub 2018 Feb 14; Shaw, Logan, et al
Genetic Risk Model for MDS Shown to Be Feasible, Am J Hematol; ePub 2018 Feb 24; Gangat, et al