Patients with acute leukemia were more likely to experience hospital-mortality if they were admitted over the weekend vs during a weekday, according to a study involving nearly 83,000 leukemia admissions. Investigators identified participants diagnosed with leukemia using the 2002-2014 Nationwide Inpatient Sample, looking at weekend/weekday admissions and hospital-mortality. Among the results:
- Overall, acute leukemia admissions declined by 22% in 2014 vs 2002.
- In-hospital mortality declined from 19% to 15%.
- 17% of admissions occurred over the weekend.
- Hospital mortality rate was 19% among weekend admissions and 16% in those admitted during the week.
- 28% of weekend admissions received early bone marrow biopsy, compared with 46% of those admitted during the week.
- Patients who received bone marrow biopsy had 64% lower odds of hospital-mortality.
- Those admitted to a teaching hospital had 35% lower odds of such.
- Patients admitted over a weekend had 12% higher odds of hospital-mortality.
- They were also more likely to experience complications (51% vs 48%).
Parikh K, Shah M, Mehta D, Arora S, Patel N, Liu Dx. Increased mortality among patients with acute leukemia admitted on weekends as compared to weekdays. [Published online ahead of print August 8, 2017]. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. doi:10.1016/j.clml.2017.07.256.
This Week's Must Reads
Novel agents emerge for hemophilia, Shapiro AD, et al. J Thromb Haemost. 2018 Sep 28
Bleeding risk with acute myocardial infarction, Dodson JA et al. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2018 Nov 26;11:2287-96
Identifying thrombosis risk in ITP patients, Balitsky AK et al. Blood. 2018 Nov 8. doi: 10.1182/blood-2018-08-868406
Preop blood management lessons, Cahill CM et al. AABB 2018, Abstract PBM4-ST4-22
Treating osteoporosis caused by transfusion-dependent thalassemia , Terpos E et al. Blood Adv. 2018;2:2837-47
Must Reads in Practice Management
Oncology studies lack full disclosure of industry payments, Wayant C et al. JAMA Oncol. 2018 Aug 30. doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2018.3738.
Improved myeloma outcomes associated with having prescription drug coverage, Olszewski A et al. J Clin Oncol. 2018 Aug 16. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2018.77.8894
For lymphoma patients, insurance is a matter of life or death , Goldstein JS et al. Blood. 2018 Jul 24. doi: 10.1182/blood-2018-03-839035
Concerns rise over proposal by CMS to level E/M payments , CMS proposed rule, CMS-1693-P
Expansion in clinical trial eligibility requested by ASCO, Friends of Cancer and ASCO letter to the FDA