Patients with acute leukemia were more likely to experience hospital-mortality if they were admitted over the weekend vs during a weekday, according to a study involving nearly 83,000 leukemia admissions. Investigators identified participants diagnosed with leukemia using the 2002-2014 Nationwide Inpatient Sample, looking at weekend/weekday admissions and hospital-mortality. Among the results:
- Overall, acute leukemia admissions declined by 22% in 2014 vs 2002.
- In-hospital mortality declined from 19% to 15%.
- 17% of admissions occurred over the weekend.
- Hospital mortality rate was 19% among weekend admissions and 16% in those admitted during the week.
- 28% of weekend admissions received early bone marrow biopsy, compared with 46% of those admitted during the week.
- Patients who received bone marrow biopsy had 64% lower odds of hospital-mortality.
- Those admitted to a teaching hospital had 35% lower odds of such.
- Patients admitted over a weekend had 12% higher odds of hospital-mortality.
- They were also more likely to experience complications (51% vs 48%).
Parikh K, Shah M, Mehta D, Arora S, Patel N, Liu Dx. Increased mortality among patients with acute leukemia admitted on weekends as compared to weekdays. [Published online ahead of print August 8, 2017]. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. doi:10.1016/j.clml.2017.07.256.
This Week's Must Reads
Gene sequencing bone marrow in myelodysplastic syndrome, Duncavage EJ et al. N Engl J Med 2018;379:1028-41.
Levofloxacin prophylaxis in ALL, AML , Alexander S, et al. JAMA. 2018;320(10):995-1004
Genetic markers signal poor prognosis in MCL, Obr A et al. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2018 Aug 23. doi: 10.1016/j.clml.2018.07.282
Disparities in ALL treatment toxicity, Taylor OA et al. Clin Cancer Res. 2018 Sep 11. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-18-0939
Leukemia risk after maternal contraception use, Hargreave M et al. Lancet Oncol. 2018 Sep 6. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(18)30479-0
Must Reads in Practice Management
Oncology studies lack full disclosure of industry payments, Wayant C et al. JAMA Oncol. 2018 Aug 30. doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2018.3738.
Improved myeloma outcomes associated with having prescription drug coverage, Olszewski A et al. J Clin Oncol. 2018 Aug 16. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2018.77.8894
For lymphoma patients, insurance is a matter of life or death , Goldstein JS et al. Blood. 2018 Jul 24. doi: 10.1182/blood-2018-03-839035
Concerns rise over proposal by CMS to level E/M payments , CMS proposed rule, CMS-1693-P
Expansion in clinical trial eligibility requested by ASCO, Friends of Cancer and ASCO letter to the FDA