Patients with acute leukemia were more likely to experience hospital-mortality if they were admitted over the weekend vs during a weekday, according to a study involving nearly 83,000 leukemia admissions. Investigators identified participants diagnosed with leukemia using the 2002-2014 Nationwide Inpatient Sample, looking at weekend/weekday admissions and hospital-mortality. Among the results:
- Overall, acute leukemia admissions declined by 22% in 2014 vs 2002.
- In-hospital mortality declined from 19% to 15%.
- 17% of admissions occurred over the weekend.
- Hospital mortality rate was 19% among weekend admissions and 16% in those admitted during the week.
- 28% of weekend admissions received early bone marrow biopsy, compared with 46% of those admitted during the week.
- Patients who received bone marrow biopsy had 64% lower odds of hospital-mortality.
- Those admitted to a teaching hospital had 35% lower odds of such.
- Patients admitted over a weekend had 12% higher odds of hospital-mortality.
- They were also more likely to experience complications (51% vs 48%).
Parikh K, Shah M, Mehta D, Arora S, Patel N, Liu Dx. Increased mortality among patients with acute leukemia admitted on weekends as compared to weekdays. [Published online ahead of print August 8, 2017]. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. doi:10.1016/j.clml.2017.07.256.
This Week's Must Reads
Observational study shows hydroxyurea well tolerated in sickle cell disease, Dauvergne B et al. FSCDR 2018, presentation JSCDH-D-18-00052
CAVEAT shows venetoclax plus chemo appropriate for older, fit AML patients , Wei AH et al. EHA Congress, Abstract S1564.
Large cohort study demonstrates DOAC safety vs. warfarin , Vinogradova Y et al. BMJ 2018;362:k2505.
Patients who develop AML may have detectable mutations years earlier, Desai P et al. Nat Med. 2018;24:1015-23.
Oral administration of arsenic + ATRA effective for APML, Zhu HH et al. Lancet Oncol. 2018;19:871-9.
Must Reads in Practice Management
Policy statement on access to opioid medications, Statement on Opioid Use in Patients with Hematologic Diseases and Disorders, American Society of Hematology
FDA postmarketing requirements, Nabhan C et al. JAMA Oncol. 2018 May 10. doi:10.1001/jamaoncol.2018.0610.
Moral Distress in HCT Professionals Evaluated, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Nov 28; Neumann, et al
Weekend vs Weekday Leukemia Admissions, Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk; ePub 2017 Aug 8; Parikh, et al
Outcomes in Multiple Myeloma Patients Evaluated , Ann Hematol; ePub 2016 Dec 2; Berenson, et al