Human leukocyte antigen (HLA)-matched siblings—irrespective of sex or donor/recipient sex mismatch—are equally suitable donors for pediatric hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation (HSCT), according to a retrospective study involving 244 individuals. Participants were pediatric patients who received their first myeloablative sibling-donor HSCT between 1998 and 2012. Among the results:
- 17% of patients who survived past engraftment experienced grade II-IV acute GVHD (aGVHD).
- 14% who survived ≥100 days developed chronic GVHD (cGVHD).
- Risk of GVHD and death increased with age.
- Female donor sex and sex-mismatch did not impact aGVHD development.
- cGVHD increased when female donors were aged ≥12 years.
- No cGVHD was seen in patients aged <10 years who received a 6/6 HLA-matched marrow HSCT.
- Survival was primarily driven by diagnosis.
Friedrich P, Guerra-Garcia P, Stetson A, Duncan C, Lehmann L. Young female donors do not increase risk of GVHD or impact overall outcomes in pediatric HLA-matched sibling HSCT. [Published online ahead of print September 25, 2017]. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. doi:10.1016/j.bbmt.2017.09.014.
This Week's Must Reads
Tamibarotene vs. ATRA in APL, Source: Takeshita A et al. ASH 2017, abstract 642.
HIT Incidence During Obstetric Hospital Admissions, Am J Perinatol.; ePub 2018 Feb 8; Sagaram, et al
Endoscopy for GI Bleeds in Severe Thrombocytopenia, Gastrointest Endosc; ePub 2018 Feb 1; Ramos, et al
Does This Predict Acute Pain in Children with SCD? , Am J Hematol; ePub 2018 Jan 25; Willen, et al
Ibuprofen Use in Alcohol-Related Thrombocytopenia , Hosp Pharm; 2018 Feb; Muhammad, Tomko, et al
Must Reads in Cellular Therapy
Late GI Issues in Allo-HCT Recipients Evaluated, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Dec 12; Sung, et al
Guideline on Platelet Transfusion in Ca Patients, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2017 Nov 28; Schiffer, et al
Adipokines, Swelling, & Adiposity in HCT Survivors, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Nov 29; Ketterl, et al
Acute Kidney Injury in Young Allo-HCT Recipients, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Nov 28; Koh, et al
Anthracycline-Related CV Dysfunction Evaluated, Cancer; ePub 2017 Nov 7; Armenian, Mertens, et al