Acute kidney injury (AKI) is prevalent following pediatric allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT), researchers concluded after conducting a retrospective analysis involving >1,000 individuals. Investigators looked at AKI incidence and risk during the first 100 days post-HCT, as well as its impact on survival, in pediatric patients who received allogeneic HCT. Among the results:
- Cumulative incidence of all stages of AKI was 68%.
- Stage 3 AKI and AKI requiring renal replacement therapy (RRT) incidences were 25% and 8%, respectively.
- 1-year overall survival rates were similar in patients without AKI and those with stage 1 or 2 disease.
- Overall survival rates were significantly different in patients without AKI and those with stage 3 disease with or without RRT (66% vs 47%).
- Independent risk factors for stage 1 through 3 AKI included age, year of transplantation, donor type, sinusoidal obstruction syndrome (SOS), and acute graft-versus-host disease (GVHD).
- Independent risk factors for AKI requiring RRT included age, donor, conditioning regimen, number of HCTs, SOS, and acute GVHD.
Koh K, Sunkara A, Kang G, et al. Acute kidney injury in pediatric patients receiving allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation: Incidence, risk factors, and outcomes. [Published online ahead of print November 28, 2017]. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. doi:10.1016/j.bbmt.2017.11.021.
This Week's Must Reads
Undertreatment of Newly-Diagnosed MM Evaluated, Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk; ePub 2018 Feb 3; Fakhri, et al
Blacks Fare Better After This Type of Transplant , Biol Blood Marrow Transplant.; ePub 2018 Jan 25; Solomon, et al
Aminocaproic Acid, Bleeding Complications Assessed, Leuk Lymphoma; ePub 2018 Feb 9; Juhl, Roddy, et al
Medication Adherence’s Impact on Outcomes in MM , Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk; ePub 2018 Feb 3; Gupta, et al
FDA Approves Rebinyn to Treat Hemophilia B, Novo Nordisk news release; 2018 Feb 8
Must Reads in Cellular Therapy
Late GI Issues in Allo-HCT Recipients Evaluated, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Dec 12; Sung, et al
Guideline on Platelet Transfusion in Ca Patients, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2017 Nov 28; Schiffer, et al
Adipokines, Swelling, & Adiposity in HCT Survivors, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Nov 29; Ketterl, et al
Acute Kidney Injury in Young Allo-HCT Recipients, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant; ePub 2017 Nov 28; Koh, et al
Anthracycline-Related CV Dysfunction Evaluated, Cancer; ePub 2017 Nov 7; Armenian, Mertens, et al