Conducting complete immunohistochemical (IHC) and FISH analysis is likely the best way to evaluate aggressive B cell lymphomas (ABCLs), concluded researchers after conducting a study involving 187 individuals. Participants had ABCL, which investigators evaluated using complete IHC and FISH analysis. Among the results:
- Morphologic and IHC analysis could not identify clinically relevant high-grade B cell lymphoma with MYC and BCL2 and/or BCL6 rearrangements.
- ~Three-fourths of these cases showed conventional diffuse large B-cell lymphoma morphologic features.
- 14% of MYC-rearranged cases were negative by IHC.
- Conversely, 60% of cases positive for MYC by IHC did not demonstrate a MYC rearrangement.
- Analysis by FISH without MYC and BCL2 IHC would have missed 41 cases of double expressor lymphoma.
Raess P, Moore S, Cascio M, et al. MYC immunohistochemical and cytogenetic analysis are required for identification of clinically relevant aggressive B cell lymphoma subtypes. [Published online ahead of print September 3, 2017]. Leuk Lymphoma. doi:10.1080/10428194.2017.1370547.
This Week's Must Reads
Observational study shows hydroxyurea well tolerated in sickle cell disease, Dauvergne B et al. FSCDR 2018, presentation JSCDH-D-18-00052
CAVEAT shows venetoclax plus chemo appropriate for older, fit AML patients , Wei AH et al. EHA Congress, Abstract S1564.
Large cohort study demonstrates DOAC safety vs. warfarin , Vinogradova Y et al. BMJ 2018;362:k2505.
Patients who develop AML may have detectable mutations years earlier, Desai P et al. Nat Med. 2018;24:1015-23.
Oral administration of arsenic + ATRA effective for APML, Zhu HH et al. Lancet Oncol. 2018;19:871-9.
Must Reads in Aggressive Lymphomas
Escalating venetoclax dose was safe in relapsed CLL, Koenig K et al. EHA Congress (annual meeting of the European Hematology Association), Abstract PF357.
PET findings safely drive chemo decisions in Hodgkin lymphoma patients, Casasnovas O et al. ASCO 2018 (annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology), Abstract 7503.
Ibrutinib and venetoclax for relapsed CLL, Niemann C et al. European Society of Hematology Annual Congress 2018. Abstract PF346.
Durable responses seen from lisocabtagene in relapsed/refractory DLBCL, Abramson JS et al. ASCO 2018. Abstract 7505
ADC + BR improves response rate in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, Sehn LH et al. EHA Congress, Abstract S802.