Renal cell carcinomas (RCCs) were more apt to be reported as unspecified histology in community programs than in other program types, researchers concluded after conducting an analysis involving nearly 300,000 RCCs. Participants were from the National Cancer Database and diagnosed with RCC between 1998 and 2014. Investigators examined proportions of RCC with unspecified vs specific histologies, and assessed the impact facility type had on these proportions. Among the results:
- Over the course of the study, the portion of histologically unspecified RCC decreased dramatically in all facility types.
- It decreased from 86% to 28% in community programs (the smallest drop).
- It went from 85% to 10% in NCI-designated centers (the largest decrease).
- Compared with community programs, RCCs were 21% less likely to be reported as unspecified histology in comprehensive community programs.
- They were 32% less likely to be reported as such in both integrated network and academic programs, and 63% less likely in NCI-designated programs.
- Proportions of papillary, clear cell, and chromophobe RCC cases increased.
Gansler T, Fedewa S, Amin M, Lin C, Jemal A. Trends in reporting histological subtyping of renal cell carcinoma: Association with cancer center type. [Published online ahead of print January 12, 2018]. Hum Pathol. doi:10.1016/j.humpath.2018.01.010.
This Week's Must Reads
Intensity modulated radiation therapy may be preferable in children with extremity nonrhabdomyosarcoma soft-tissue sarcomas, Source: Rao A et al. Intl J Rad Oncology*Biology*Physics; Jan. 2019, 38-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2018.09.005
TAO: Nonwhite ethnicity, limb infection predict poor prognosis, Le Joncour A et al. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2018;70(Suppl 10): Abstract 1885
Thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke safe in GI malignancy, Inohara T et al. Circulation. 2018 Nov 6;138[suppl 1], Abstract A12291
Ten years of anastrozole boosts disease-free survival, Ohtani S et al. SABCS 2018, Abstract GS3-04
Outcomes better in TNBC with adjuvant chemotherapy within 30 days of surgery, Morante Z et al., SABCS 2018 Abstract GS2-05
Must Reads in Renal Cell Carcinoma
Strong link found between RCC and melanoma, Kim KB et al. Cancer Epidemiol. 2018 Oct 19;57:80-4
Apo B/A1 predicts survival in metastatic renal cell carcinoma, Zhang F et al. Urol Oncol. 2018 Nov 30. doi: 10.1016/j.urolonc.2018.11.010
RCC patients with brain-only metastases may benefit from cytoreductive nephrectomy, Daugherty M et al. Urol Oncol. 2018 Dec 5.doi: 10.1016/j.urolonc.2018.10.021
Lower concentration of pazopanib linked with less toxicity, Noda S et al. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2018 Dec 7. doi: 10.1016/j.clgc.2018.12.001
One-fourth of placebo arm experience adverse events in RCC trials, Chacón M et al. JAMA Network Open. 2018 Dec 7. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.5617