Clinical Edge

Summaries of Must-Read Clinical Literature, Guidelines, and FDA Actions

Partial nephrectomy is even more critical in early-onset RCC

Clemmensen T et al. Human Pathology April 2018 25-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2017.11.005

Key clinical point: Patients who develop RCC before age 47 typically have comorbidities that place them at an increased risk for chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease. Partial nephrectomy is even more critical to pursue if deemed feasible in this at-risk population. Only 2/96 (2.1%) patients in the early onset RCC group had disease recurrence.

Major finding: Compared to the control group, early onset RCC patients were more likely to undergo a partial nephrectomy (P = .002) and 78% of patients presented with stage 1a (52/91) or 1b (19/91) disease. In the control group, 67% of patients presented with stage 1a (234/500) or 1b (101/500) disease. In the early onset RCC group, 9/91 (9.9%) patients presented with stage 3 disease, compared to 120/500 (24%) patients in the control group.

Study details: A retrospective search of a surgical pathology database performed from 2011 to 2016 identified 598 RCCs in 576 patients. In the early onset RCC group, 98 (16.4%) RCCs occurred in 96 patients. The remaining 500 (83.6%) RCCs occurred in 480 patients older than 46 years, which comprised the control group.

Disclosures: The researchers had no relevant financial disclosures.

Source: Clemmensen T et al. Human Pathology April 2018 25-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2017.11.005

Citation:

Clemmensen T et al. Human Pathology April 2018 25-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2017.11.005

This Week's Must Reads

First-line avelumab/axitinib for RCC benefits wide range of patients, Choueiri TK et al. GUCS 2019, Abstract 544.

Inadequate emergency care a challenge for rural pediatric patients, Walling EB et al. J Oncol Pract. 2019 Jan 31. doi: 10.1200/JOP.18.00115.

QC measures improve with CMS Oncology Care Model, Rocque G et al. J Oncol Pract. 2019. doi: 10. 1200/JOP.18.00390.

Must Reads in Renal Cell Carcinoma

First-line avelumab/axitinib for RCC benefits wide range of patients, Choueiri TK et al. GUCS 2019, Abstract 544.

Strong link found between RCC and melanoma, Kim KB et al. Cancer Epidemiol. 2018 Oct 19;57:80-4

Apo B/A1 predicts survival in metastatic renal cell carcinoma, Zhang F et al. Urol Oncol. 2018 Nov 30. doi: 10.1016/j.urolonc.2018.11.010

RCC patients with brain-only metastases may benefit from cytoreductive nephrectomy, Daugherty M et al. Urol Oncol. 2018 Dec 5.doi: 10.1016/j.urolonc.2018.10.021

Lower concentration of pazopanib linked with less toxicity, Noda S et al. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2018 Dec 7. doi: 10.1016/j.clgc.2018.12.001