A score-based model can predict which patients are at risk of cisplatin-associated acute kidney injury (C-AKI), according to a study involving >2,100 individuals. Participants received cisplatin between 2000 and 2016 at 2 cancer centers. Investigators created a scoring model from a development cohort and determined how well it worked in a validation cohort. Among the results:
- Patients in their 7th decade of life were 64% more likely to experience C-AKI than those who were aged ≤60 years.
- Those in their eighth decade of life were nearly 3 times more likely to experience such.
- Patients receiving a 101-150 mg dose of cisplatin were 58% more likely to experience C-AKI than those who received ≤100 mg.
- Those who received >150 mg were nearly 4 times more likely to experience such.
- Patients with hypertension were twice as likely as those without to experience C-AKI.
- Those with serum albumin 2.0 to 3.5 g/dL were more than twice as likely to experience such, vs those with levels >3.5 g/dL.
Motwani S, McMahon G, Humphreys B, Partridge A, Waikar S, Curhan G. Development and validation of a risk prediction model for acute kidney injury after the first course of cisplatin. [Published online ahead of print January 10, 2018]. J Clin Oncol. doi:10.1200/JCO.2017.75.7161.
This Week's Must Reads
RNA expression offers potential biomarker in hemophilia A, Niloofar N et al. Hematology. 2019;24(1):255-62
Caplacizumab speeds platelet normalization, Scully M et al. N Engl J Med. 2019 Jan 9. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1806311
Remote area of Canada provides pool for genetic research, Scully M-F et al. Transfus Apher Sci. 2018 Dec;57(6):713-6
Can web tools replace pharmacokinetic analysis in hemophilia A?, Nagao A et al. Thromb Res. 2019 Jan;173:79-84
BSH issues recommendations for glucocorticoid use in ITP, Hill QA et al. Br J Haematol. 2019 Jan 4. doi: 10.1111/bjh.15735
Must Reads in Preventive Care
Predicting Acute Kidney Injury Risk from Cisplatin , J Clin Oncol; ePub 2018 Jan 10; Motwani, et al
ASCO Guideline on Alcohol Consumption and Cancer, J Clin Oncol; 2018 Jan; LoConte, Brewster, et al
Cochrane on Corticosteroids for Nausea, Vomiting, Cochrane; 2017 Jul 3; Vayne-Bossert, et al
Cochrane Evaluates Efficacy of Cancer Pain Meds, Cochrane; 2017 Jul 6; Wiffen, et al/Jul 12; Derry, et al/Jul 12; Wiffen, et al
Do Genomic Testing Cancer Risk Results Alter Behavior?, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2016 Dec 12; Gray, et al