Using inactive vaccine to re-immunizing autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplant (aHCT) recipients receiving lenalidomide maintenance (LM) is safe and effective, according to a study involving 122 individuals. Participants had multiple myeloma and were vaccinated after aHCT between 2010 and 2014 at a single center. Investigators looked at vaccination safety and efficacy. Among the results:
- Three-fourths of patients were receiving LM.
- Vaccine responses differed by vaccine type; 76% responded to pertussis, 70% diphtheria, 60% tetanus, 71% haemophilus influenzae, and 58% pneumococcal.
- All patients retained polio immunity; 27% responded with increased titers.
- 3 in every 10 patients who received the hepatitis A vaccine responded; 4 in every 10 who received the hepatitis B vaccine did so.
- Response rates were similar in patients who received or did not receive LM.
- There were no vaccine related adverse effects.
Palazzo M, Shah G, Copelan B, et al. Re-Vaccination following autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation is safe and effective in patients with multiple myeloma receiving lenalidomide maintenance. [Published online ahead of print December 27, 2017]. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. doi:10.1016/j.bbmt.2017.12.795.
This Week's Must Reads
First-line avelumab/axitinib for RCC benefits wide range of patients, Choueiri TK et al. GUCS 2019, Abstract 544.
Inadequate emergency care a challenge for rural pediatric patients, Walling EB et al. J Oncol Pract. 2019 Jan 31. doi: 10.1200/JOP.18.00115.
QC measures improve with CMS Oncology Care Model, Rocque G et al. J Oncol Pract. 2019. doi: 10. 1200/JOP.18.00390.
Must Reads in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
Gene sequencing bone marrow in myelodysplastic syndrome, Duncavage EJ et al. N Engl J Med 2018;379:1028-41.
JAK1/2 inhibitors tied to increased B-cell lymphoma risk, Porpaczy E et al. Blood. 2018 Jun 14. doi: 10.1182/blood-2017-10-810739.
Romiplostim safety confirmed in thrombocytopenic patients with low-risk myelodysplastic syndromes, Kantarjian H et al. The Lancet Haematology March 2018, Pages e117-e126 https://doi.org/10.1016/S2352-3026(18)30016-4
Simplifying the URD Selection Process for HCT, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant.; ePub 2018 Feb 14; Shaw, Logan, et al
Genetic Risk Model for MDS Shown to Be Feasible, Am J Hematol; ePub 2018 Feb 24; Gangat, et al