An algorithm appears to accurately predict unrelated donor search results after obtaining HLA typing and ancestry, according to a study involving 830 individuals with multiple myeloma. Investigators tested the accuracy of the HapLogic system and a resulting search prognosis patient categorization algorithm in predicting 8/8 HLA-matched unrelated donor likelihood. Among the results:
- 6 in every 10 patients had 8/8 unrelated donors identified.
- Search prognosis categories (217 very good, 104 good, 178 fair, 33 poor, 153 very poor, 145 futile) were linked with a noticeable progressive decrease in 8/8 unrelated donor identification and transplantation.
- Very good and good categories predicted finding and receiving a donor regardless of ancestry.
- Patients of European ancestry who were in fair or poor categories were more likely than those of non-European ancestry to receive a donor.
- Patients in the very poor and futile categories had a very high likelihood of finding no donors.
Davis E, Davlin S, Cooper C, et al. Validation of an algorithm to predict the likelihood of an 8/8 HLA-matched unrelated donor at search initiation. [Published online ahead of print December 26, 2017]. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. doi:10.1016/j.bbmt.2017.12.791.
Must Reads in Myelodysplastic Syndrome
Gene sequencing bone marrow in myelodysplastic syndrome, Duncavage EJ et al. N Engl J Med 2018;379:1028-41.
JAK1/2 inhibitors tied to increased B-cell lymphoma risk, Porpaczy E et al. Blood. 2018 Jun 14. doi: 10.1182/blood-2017-10-810739.
Romiplostim safety confirmed in thrombocytopenic patients with low-risk myelodysplastic syndromes, Kantarjian H et al. The Lancet Haematology March 2018, Pages e117-e126 https://doi.org/10.1016/S2352-3026(18)30016-4
Simplifying the URD Selection Process for HCT, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant.; ePub 2018 Feb 14; Shaw, Logan, et al
Genetic Risk Model for MDS Shown to Be Feasible, Am J Hematol; ePub 2018 Feb 24; Gangat, et al