Human papillomavirus (HPV) tests are less likely to miss cases of precancerous cervical changes, yet they lead to more unnecessary referrals, according to a Cochrane review of 40 studies involving more than 140,000 women. Among the findings:
- For every 1,000 women screened, around 20 will have precancerous changes.
- The HPV test will correctly identify 16 and miss 4 of these women.
- The Pap test will identify 12 and miss 8 women.
- For every 1,000 women screened, 980 will not have precancerous changes.
- The HPV test will correctly identify 879 women, but 101 will be incorrectly told that they have a lesion.
- The Pap test will correctly identify 951 women, but 29 will be incorrectly told that they have a lesion.
Koliopoulos G, Nyaga V, Santesso N, et al. Cytology versus HPV testing for cervical cancer screening in the general population. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2017, Issue 8. Art. No.: CD008587. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD008587.pub2.
This Week's Must Reads
Intensity modulated radiation therapy may be preferable in children with extremity nonrhabdomyosarcoma soft-tissue sarcomas, Source: Rao A et al. Intl J Rad Oncology*Biology*Physics; Jan. 2019, 38-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2018.09.005
TAO: Nonwhite ethnicity, limb infection predict poor prognosis, Le Joncour A et al. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2018;70(Suppl 10): Abstract 1885
Thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke safe in GI malignancy, Inohara T et al. Circulation. 2018 Nov 6;138[suppl 1], Abstract A12291
Ten years of anastrozole boosts disease-free survival, Ohtani S et al. SABCS 2018, Abstract GS3-04
Outcomes better in TNBC with adjuvant chemotherapy within 30 days of surgery, Morante Z et al., SABCS 2018 Abstract GS2-05
Must Reads in Gynecologic Cancer
Uterine serous carcinoma patients have continuous high risk of VTE , Gressel GM et al. Obstet Gynecol. 2018 Oct 5;132:1130-6.
CD8+ Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes and Ovarian Ca, JAMA Oncol; ePub 2017 Oct 12; OTTA Consortium
Lymph Node Removal During Endometrial Ca Surgery, Cochrane; 2017 Oct 2; Frost, Webster, et al
Cochrane on Reducing Neoplasia in Molar Pregnancy, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 11; Wang, Fu, Hu, et al
FDA Approves First Biosimilar to Treat Cancer, FDA news release; 2017 Sep 14