Magnetic resonance enterography is a valid and reliable way to monitor small bowel inflammation in patients with Crohn’s disease, according to a study that compared MR enterography to balloon-assisted enteroscopy. Among the findings:
- The investigation evaluated 139 patients in remission from Crohn’s disease who had both MR enterography and balloon-assisted enteroscopy performed.
- Researchers used a metric called the Simple Endoscopic Active Score for CD (SES-CDa) and the MR index of activity (MaRIA) to track patients’ progress.
- 30 patients experienced clinical relapse and 62 patients experienced serological relapse over time.
- A MaRIA score below 11 yielded high diagnostic accuracy for endoscopic healing.
- The kappa coefficient between MR enterography and balloon-assisted enteroscopy for clinical relapse and serological relapse was strong (0.754 and 0.783).
Takenaka K, Ohtsuka K, Kitazume Y, et al. Utility of magnetic resonance enterography for small bowel endoscopic healing in patients with Crohn’s Disease. [Published online ahead of print December 19, 2017] Am J Gastroenterol. doi:10.1038/ajg.2017.464.
This Week's Must Reads
Ustekinumab & Health-Related Quality of Life in CD, J Crohns Colitis; ePub 2018 May 3; Sands, et al
Increased Risk of Acute MI and HF with IBD, Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol; ePub 2018 Apr 24; Aniwan, et al
Opioid Use Disorder & IBD Hospitalizations, J Crohns Colitis; ePub 2018 May 7; Cohen-Mekelburg, et al
Clinical Course of IBD with Celiac Disease, J Crohns Colitis; ePub 2018 May 7; Tse, et al
Incidence of Intestinal Infections in IBD, Inflamm Bowel Dis; ePub 2018 May 2; Barber, et al
Must Reads in IBD & Intestinal Disorders
Ileal-Anal Anastomosis a Wise Long-Term Choice, Surgery; ePub 2018 Jan 8; Netz, et al.
Low-Radiation Dose CT Enterography for Crohn’s, AJR Am J Roentgenol; ePub 2017 Dec 20; Rosenfeld, et al
Which IBD Patients Cost Your Hospital the Most?, J Dig Dis; ePub 2017 Dec 18; Gu, et al
IBD-Related Hospital Admissions Have Increased, Ann Surg; ePub 2017 Dec 11; Justiniano; et al
Finding Link Between Microbiome & Crohn’s Disease , Nature; 2017 Nov; Vandeputte, et al