Magnetic resonance enterography is a valid and reliable way to monitor small bowel inflammation in patients with Crohn’s disease, according to a study that compared MR enterography to balloon-assisted enteroscopy. Among the findings:
- The investigation evaluated 139 patients in remission from Crohn’s disease who had both MR enterography and balloon-assisted enteroscopy performed.
- Researchers used a metric called the Simple Endoscopic Active Score for CD (SES-CDa) and the MR index of activity (MaRIA) to track patients’ progress.
- 30 patients experienced clinical relapse and 62 patients experienced serological relapse over time.
- A MaRIA score below 11 yielded high diagnostic accuracy for endoscopic healing.
- The kappa coefficient between MR enterography and balloon-assisted enteroscopy for clinical relapse and serological relapse was strong (0.754 and 0.783).
Takenaka K, Ohtsuka K, Kitazume Y, et al. Utility of magnetic resonance enterography for small bowel endoscopic healing in patients with Crohn’s Disease. [Published online ahead of print December 19, 2017] Am J Gastroenterol. doi:10.1038/ajg.2017.464.
This Week's Must Reads
Reduced Butyrate/Low Fiber Linked to Crohn’s , J Crohns Colitis; 2018 Jan; Laserna-Mendieta, et al
Fiber Not Linked to IBD, Unless You Smoke, J Crohns Colitis; ePub 2018 Jan 24; Andersen, et al
Crohn’s Patients’ Response to Anti-TNF Agents, Dig Dis Sci; ePub 2018 Jan 25; Luther, et al
Exposing the Causes of Inflammatory Bowel Disease , Nature Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol; 2018 Jan; Ananthakrishnan, et al
Exploring the Complications of Prepouch Ileitis, Dis Colon Rectum; ePub 2018 Jan 23; Segal, et al
Must Reads in IBD & Intestinal Disorders
Ileal-Anal Anastomosis a Wise Long-Term Choice, Surgery; ePub 2018 Jan 8; Netz, et al.
Low-Radiation Dose CT Enterography for Crohn’s, AJR Am J Roentgenol; ePub 2017 Dec 20; Rosenfeld, et al
Which IBD Patients Cost Your Hospital the Most?, J Dig Dis; ePub 2017 Dec 18; Gu, et al
IBD-Related Hospital Admissions Have Increased, Ann Surg; ePub 2017 Dec 11; Justiniano; et al
Finding Link Between Microbiome & Crohn’s Disease , Nature; 2017 Nov; Vandeputte, et al