Chronic diarrhea (CD) is significantly more prevalent in people with diabetes compared to those without, while chronic constipation (CC) is not, according to a new study. Analyses were performed using data from individuals in the 2009-2010 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) dataset who completed the Bowel Health Questionnaire. Among the findings:
- 661 persons with diabetes and 4,488 individuals without diabetes were identified.
- Subjects with diabetes (25.8%) reported disordered bowel habits.
- In unadjusted analysis, CD was more prevalent in those with diabetes than in those without diabetes (11.2% vs 6.0%).
- However, the prevalence of CC was not significantly different between groups (14.6% vs 11.2%).
- Diabetes remained associated with CD after adjusting for covariates.
Sommers T, Mitsuhashi S, Singh P, et al. Prevalence of chronic constipation and chronic diarrhea in diabetic individuals in the United States. [Published online ahead of print November 8, 2018]. Am J Gastroenterol. doi:10.1038/s41395-018-0418-8.
This Week's Must Reads
Improving Patient Handling of FIT Samples, Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol; ePub 2018 Nov 29; Wang, et al
Markers of Inflammation in Hepatic Steatosis, Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol; ePub 2018 Nov 23; Fricker, et al
Lactation Duration & Prevalence of NAFLD , J Hepatol; ePub 2018 Nov 1; Ajmera, et al
Endoscopic Intervention in Pregnant Women with ABP, Gastrointest Endosc; ePub 2018 Nov 29; Luthra, et al
Combination Therapy & Risk of IBD Complications, Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol; ePub 2018 Nov 15; Targownik, et al
Must Reads in Diarrhea
Chronic Constipation & Diarrhea in Diabetics, Am J Gastroenterol; ePub 2018 Nov 8; Sommers, et al
HIV Infection and Diarrheal Disease in Children, Int J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 May 28; Acácio, et al
Pathophysiology of IBD-associated Diarrhea, Tissue Barriers; ePub 2018 May 8; Anbazhagan, et al
Evaluation of Chronic Diarrhea in Infants, Gastroenterology; 2018 Jun; Thiagarajah, et al
Antibiotic Overuse in Tx of Acute Diarrhea, Adv Med; ePub 2018 May 2; Tulu, et al