Alterations in the way the gut metabolizes the fatty acid butyrate have been associated with inflammatory bowel disease. A recent genetic analysis suggests that reduced intestinal synthesis of butyrate may be the result of a low fiber diet. Study highlights include:
- Investigators measured the butyryl-CoA:acetate CoA transferase (BCoAT) genes in the stool of healthy persons, and in patients with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis using polymerase chain reaction.
- Disease activity for Crohn’s and colitis were measured by means of fecal calprotectin concentration and clinical evaluation.
- A drop in the ability to synthesize butyrate was found in patients with both active and inactive Crohn’s disease but only in active ulcerative colitis.
- The reduced butyrate synthesizing enzyme levels—as indicated by the lower gene content—was associated with increased inflammation, stenotic behavior, lower microbial diversity, and other abnormalities.
- Reduced BCoAT gene levels were also associated with a diet lower in fiber.
Laserna-Mendieta EJ, Clooney AJ, Carretero-Gomez JF, et al. Determinants of reduced genetic capacity for butyrate synthesis by the gut microbiome in Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. J Crohns Colitis. 2018;12:204-216. doi:10.1093/ecco-jcc/jjx137.
This Week's Must Reads
Autoimmune Disorders in People with Celiac Disease, J Clin Gastroenterol; ePub 2018 Jul 24; Kim, et al
Organized CRC Screening & Cancer Incidence, Gastroenterology; ePub 2018 Jul 19; Levin, et al
Predictors of Suicidal Ideation in IBD Outpatients, J Clin Gastroenterol; ePub 2018 Jul 20; Hashash, et al
Hereditary Pancreatitis & Rates of Pancreatic Cancer, Am J Gastroenterol; ePub 2018 Jul 18; Shelton, et al
Obesity Burden & Hospitalization in IBD Patients, Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol; ePub 2018 Jul 15; Nguyen, et al
Must Reads in Crohn’s Disease
Ustekinumab & Health-Related Quality of Life in CD, J Crohns Colitis; ePub 2018 May 3; Sands, et al
Increased Risk of Acute MI and HF with IBD, Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol; ePub 2018 Apr 24; Aniwan, et al
Opioid Use Disorder & IBD Hospitalizations, J Crohns Colitis; ePub 2018 May 7; Cohen-Mekelburg, et al
Clinical Course of IBD with Celiac Disease, J Crohns Colitis; ePub 2018 May 7; Tse, et al
Incidence of Intestinal Infections in IBD, Inflamm Bowel Dis; ePub 2018 May 2; Barber, et al