About one-third of patients who undergo colon resection for Crohn’s disease (CD) experience postoperative complications, a recent study found. The study identified factors associated with short-term morbidity in these patients from a national database. Groups were classified based on presence of postoperative 30-day complications. Overall morbidity was calculated by including patients who had at least 1 postoperative complication. Researchers found:
- 1,643 patients (mean age 41.2 years, 53% female) met inclusion criteria.
- 993 (60%) of the procedures were performed laparoscopically and 128 (12.8%) were converted to open.
- 95 (5%) patients underwent emergent resections.
- 507 patients (30%) had at least 1 postoperative complication within 30 days of surgery.
- Ileus (16%), transfusion (7%), and organ-space surgical site infection (6%) were the most common morbidities.
- Independent risk factors for postoperative morbidity were male gender, open surgery, preoperative severe anemia, and preoperative weight loss.
Aydinli HH, Aytac E, Remzi FH, Bernstein M, Grucela AL. Factors associated with short-term morbidity in patients undergoing colon resection for Crohn’s disease. [Published online ahead of print April 16, 2018]. J Gastrointest Surg. doi:10.1007/s11605-018-3763-4.
This Week's Must Reads
Autoimmune Disorders in People with Celiac Disease, J Clin Gastroenterol; ePub 2018 Jul 24; Kim, et al
Organized CRC Screening & Cancer Incidence, Gastroenterology; ePub 2018 Jul 19; Levin, et al
Predictors of Suicidal Ideation in IBD Outpatients, J Clin Gastroenterol; ePub 2018 Jul 20; Hashash, et al
Hereditary Pancreatitis & Rates of Pancreatic Cancer, Am J Gastroenterol; ePub 2018 Jul 18; Shelton, et al
Obesity Burden & Hospitalization in IBD Patients, Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol; ePub 2018 Jul 15; Nguyen, et al
Must Reads in Crohn’s Disease
Ustekinumab & Health-Related Quality of Life in CD, J Crohns Colitis; ePub 2018 May 3; Sands, et al
Increased Risk of Acute MI and HF with IBD, Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol; ePub 2018 Apr 24; Aniwan, et al
Opioid Use Disorder & IBD Hospitalizations, J Crohns Colitis; ePub 2018 May 7; Cohen-Mekelburg, et al
Clinical Course of IBD with Celiac Disease, J Crohns Colitis; ePub 2018 May 7; Tse, et al
Incidence of Intestinal Infections in IBD, Inflamm Bowel Dis; ePub 2018 May 2; Barber, et al