Parous women have an increased risk for breast cancer for > 20 years after childbirth compared with nulliparous women, a recent study found. A pooled analysis of 15 prospective studies included women aged <55 years from the International Premenopausal Breast Cancer Collaborative Group. Researchers found:
- During 9.6 million person-years of follow-up, 18,826 incident cases of breast cancer were diagnosed.
- Compared with nulliparous women, parous women had a hazard ratio (HR) for breast cancer that peaked about 5 years (HR, 1.80) after birth before decreasing to 0.77 after 34 years.
- Increases in breast cancer risk after childbirth were pronounced when combined with a family history of breast cancer.
- Women who were older at first birth or who had more births were also at increased risk.
- Breastfeeding did not modify overall risk patterns.
Nichols HB, Schoemaker MJ, Cai J, et al. Breast cancer risk after recent childbirth: A pooled analysis of 15 prospective studies. [Published online ahead of print December 11, 2018]. Ann Intern Med. doi:10.7326/M18-1323.
This Week's Must Reads
AHA Statement: CV Risk Reduction in Pediatrics, Circulation; ePub 2019 Feb 25; de Ferranti, et al
Epicutaneous Immunotherapy in Peanut Allergy, JAMA; ePub 2019 Feb 22; Fleischer, et al
Opioid-Related Mortality in US by Opioid Type, JAMA Netw Open; 2019 Feb 22; Kiang, et al
Insulin Management in Patients with T2D, Lancet; ePub 2019 Feb 22; Bergenstal, et al
Vaccination for Prevention of Herpes Zoster, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2019 Feb 19; Prosser, et al
Must Reads in Women's Health
Sedentary Behaviors & CVD Risk in Older Women, Circulation; 2019 Feb 19; Bellettiere, et al
USPSTF: Interventions to Avert Perinatal Depression, JAMA; 2019 Feb 12; US Preventive Services Task Force
Hypertensive Diseases of Pregnancy & Risk of HF, Mayo Clin Proc; ePub 2018 Dec 19; Nizamuddin, et al
Recent Childbirth a Risk Factor for Breast Cancer, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 Dec 11; Nichols, et al
BMI & Risk of Postpregnancy T2D in Women with HDP , Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Nov 19; Timpka, et al