Compared with sleeve gastrectomy (SG) or adjustable gastric banding (AGB) procedures, adults lost more weight with Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) at 1, 3, and 5 years; however, RYGB had the highest 30-day rate of major adverse events (AEs). This according to results from a retrospective cohort study that compared weight loss and safety among bariatric procedures. A total of 65,093 patients aged 20‒79 with body mass index (BMI) of ≥35 kg/m2 who had bariatric procedures were included. Researchers estimated total weight loss (TWL) at 1, 3, and 5 years and measured 30-day rates of major AEs. They found:
- Total numbers of eligible patients with weight measures at 1, 3, and 5 years were 44,978 (84%), 20,783 (68%), and 7,159 (69%), respectively.
- 30-day rates of major AEs were 5.0% for RYGB, 2.6% for SG, and 2.9% for AGB.
- 1-year mean TWLs were 31.2% for RYGB, 25.2% for SG, and 13.7% for AGB.
- 5-year TWLs were 25.5% for RYGB, 18.8% for SG, and 11.7% for AGB.
- At 1 year, RYGB patients lost 5.9 percentage points more weight than SG patients and 17.7 percentage points more than AGB patients, while SG patients lost 12.0 percentage points more than AGB patients.
Arterburn D, Wellman R, Emiliano A, et al. Comparative effectiveness and safety of bariatric procedures for weight loss: A PCORnet Cohort Study. [Published online ahead of print October 30, 2018]. Ann Intern Med. doi:10.7326/M17-2786.
This Week's Must Reads
Patient-Centered Intervention for Prostate Ca Care, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2019 Mar 12; Jayadevappa, et al
Subsequent Cancer Risk in Prostate Cancer, Lancet Oncol; ePub 2019 Mar 15; Mohamad, et al
Accuracy of 68Ga-PSMA-11 PET in Prostate Cancer, JAMA Oncol; ePub 2019 Mar 28; Fendler, et al
Low Muscle Mass in Patients with Prostate Cancer, J Urol; ePub 2019 Mar 27; Pak, Park, et al
Steroid Hormones & Progression of Prostate Cancer, Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev; ePub 2019 Mar 27; Lévesque, et al
Must Reads in Obesity
Physical Activity & Incidence of CHD & CVD in Women, JAMA Netw Open; ePub 2019 Mar 15; LaCroix, et al
Coffee Consumption & Plasma Biomarkers, Am J Clin Nutr; ePub 2019 Mar 5; Hang, et al
Fitness & BMI in Adolescence Tied to Adult Disability, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2019 Feb 12; Henriksson, et al
BMI Measurements and Intensive BP Management , Am J Med; ePub 2019 Feb 2; Oxlund, et al
Adiposity and Risk of Decline in GFR, BMJ; ePub 2019 Jan 10; Chang, Grams, et al