Increasing delivery of preexposure prophylaxis (PrEP) and other highly effective HIV prevention services could lower the number of new HIV infections occurring in the US each year, according to an analysis that estimated the number of persons in the US with indications for PrEP. The study found:
• Approximately 1 in 4 sexually active HIV-negative adult men who have sex with men (MSM) have indications for PrEP.
• An estimated 1 in 5 HIV-negative persons who inject drugs have indications for PrEP.
• An estimated 1 in 200 HIV-negative heterosexually active adults have indications for PrEP.
• Persons at substantial risk for HIV infection and their health care providers need to be aware of daily oral PrEP as one of several highly effective HIV prevention methods.
Citation: Smith DK, Van Handel M, Wolitski RJ, et al. Vital signs: Estimated percentages and numbers of adults with indications for preexposure prophylaxis to prevent HIV acquisition – United States, 2015. MMWR 2015;64(46);1291-1295.
1. Grant RM, Lama JR, Anderson PL, et al. Preexposure chemoprophylaxis for HIV prevention in men who have sex with men. N Engl J Med 2010; 363:2587–2599.
2. Baeten JM, Donnell D, Ndase P, et al. Antiretroviral prophylaxis for HIV prevention in heterosexual men and women. N Engl J Med 2012; 367:399–410.
This Week's Must Reads
Intensive BP Control & Risk of Dementia, JAMA; ePub 2019 Jan 28; SPRINT MIND Investigators
Outpatient Care for Adults With Primary Care, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2019 Jan 28; Levine, et al
Antibiotic Therapy in Patients with Asthma, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2019 Jan 28; Stefan, et al
Outpatient Benzodiazepine Prescribing in US, JAMA Netw Open; 2019 Jan 25; Agarwal, et al
Reduction of Readmissions Through Primary Care, JAMA Netw Open; 2019 Jan 25; Wiest, et al
Must Reads in HIV
Preexposure Prophylaxis to Prevent HIV Acquisition, Can new intervention reduce HIV infections?
Pre-exposure prophylaxis to prevent HIV-1 infection, Just how effective is PrEP?
Initiation of Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV, A look at the benefits and risk