The potential for perinatal hepatitis C virus (HCV) transmission exists among women infected with hepatitis C virus (HCV), and expanded HCV testing guidelines may help ease the burden in this population. Researchers analyzed National Center for Health Statistics birth certificate data in 2017 to assess the number of HCV-infected women in the US delivering live births in 2015, and commercial laboratory data to assess HCV testing and positivity among women of childbearing age, pregnant women, and children aged <5 years from 2011 to 2016. They found:
- In 2015, 0.38% (n=14,417) of live births were delivered by women with HCV.
- Compared with births overall, births delivered by women infected with HCV occurred more often in those aged 20‒29 years, white, non-Hispanic; covered by Medicaid or other government insurance, and with rural residence.
- Among women of childbearing age, HCV testing increased by 39% from 2011 to 2016, and positivity increased by 36%.
- Among pregnant women, HCV testing increased by 135% and positivity increased by 39%.
- Among children, HCV testing increased by 25% and positivity increased by 13%.
Schillie SF, Canary L, Koneru A, et al. Hepatitis C virus in women of childbearing age, pregnant women, and children. Am J Prev Med. 2018;55(5):633-641. doi:10.1016/j.amepre.2018.05.029.
This Week's Must Reads
HRRP & Patient Mortality in HF, AMI & Pneumonia, JAMA; 2018 Dec 25; Wadhera, et al
Hypertensive Diseases of Pregnancy & Risk of HF, Mayo Clin Proc; ePub 2018 Dec 19; Nizamuddin, et al
Clopidogrel + Aspirin Can Reduce Recurrent Stroke, BMJ; ePub 2018 Dec 18; Hao, Tampi, et al
Second-Line ADMs & CV Events in T2D, JAMA Netw Open; ePub 2018 Dec 21; O’Brien, et al
Health Care Utilization of a Dementia Care Program, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2018 Dec 21; Jennings, et al
Must Reads in Hepatitis
Glecaprevir/Pibrentasvir Efficacy & Safety Assessed, J Hepatol; ePub 2018 Nov 23; D’Ambrosio, et al
HCV Infection Among Children & Young Persons, J Hepatol; ePub 2018 Nov 26; Modin, et al
HCV Patients with Limited Access to Antiviral Therapy, Dig Liver Dis; ePub 2018 Nov 29; Lens, et al
Progression in the Elimination of HCV Infection, PLoS One; ePub 2018 Dec 4; Juanbeltz, et al
Increased HCV Screening in Veteran Populations, Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf; ePub 2018 Sep 25; Wray, et al