In a subset of chronic hepatitis C (CHC) patients, the risk for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) still exists after sustained virologic response (SVR) and may occur up to 18 years after viral clearance, a new study found. Researchers retrospectively compared CHC patients achieving SVR to antiviral treatments between 1996 and 2016 who did and did not develop HCC. The median follow-up period was 8.01 years. They found:
- Compared to 164 non-HCC SVR patients, 22 who developed HCC were older in age at SVR (59 vs 52 years), had a higher incidence of diabetes (27% vs 8%), and more had fibrosis Stage 3 and cirrhosis (77% vs 38%).
- In addition, their pre-antiviral treatment alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) levels were higher and more were anti-HBc positive.
- 8 of 22 (36%) patients developed HCC 4 to 10 years after SVR, while another 7 (32%) developed HCC 10 years after SVR.
- The longest duration from SVR to HCC was 18.7 years.
- The risk for HCC was significantly less in genotype 2 compared to genotype 1 patients.
Tong MJ, Theodoro CF, Salvo RT. Late development of hepatocellular carcinoma after viral clearance in chronic hepatitis C patients: A need for continual surveillance. [Published online ahead of print June 11, 2018]. J Digest Dis. doi:10.1111/1751-2980.12615.
This Week's Must Reads
CVD Events Prevented with New AHA BP Guideline, Circulation; ePub 2018 Nov 19; Bress, et al
USPSTF: Interventions to Prevent Child Maltreatment, JAMA; 2018 Nov 27; US Preventive Services Task Force
Team-Based Primary Care in Chronically Ill Patients, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2018 Nov 26; Meyers, et al
Rotating Night Shift Work & Risk of T2D, BMJ; ePub 2018 Nov 21; Shan, Li, et al
PUFAs for Primary & Secondary CVD Prevention, Cochrane Library; ePub 2018 Nov 27; Abdelhamid, et al
Must Reads in Hepatitis
Glecaprevir/Pibrentasvir in HCV GT 3 Infection, J Viral Hepat; ePub 2018 Nov 12; Flamm, et al
HCV Therapy Reduces CVD Events in Veterans, Gastroenterology; ePub 2018 Nov 13; Butt, et al
Alcohol Use Disorder in Patients with HCV/HIV , Drug Alcohol Depend; 2018 Oct 30; Frost, et al
Sexually-acquired HCV in MSM Using PrEP, J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Nov 20; Price, et al
Effective HCV Testing In US Prisons, Am J Prev Med; ePub 2018 Nov 19; Assoumou, et al