Patients with hepatitis B virus (HBV) incurred higher liver-related hospital charges and higher mean increase for all-cause and liver-related hospitalization charges over an 8-year period and also had slightly lower mortality rate, compared to patients with hepatitis C virus (HCV), a recent study found. The retrospective cohort analysis of HBV and HCV patients from the California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Developing (2006-2013) database compared HBV and HCV related hospital admission rates, charges, mortality rates, causes of death in a US population-based study. Researchers found:
- A total of 23,891 HBV and 148,229 HCV patients were included.
- Across the 8-year study period, the mean increase for all-cause and liver-related hospitalization charges were significantly higher for the HBV cohort vs the HCV cohort.
- HBV patients also had significantly higher liver-related hospital charges per person per year vs HCV patients after controlling for covariates.
- Compared to HCV patients, adjusted mortality hazard ratio was slightly lower in HPV patients (RR, 0.96).
- Major causes and places of death differed between the groups.
Park H, Jeong D, Nguyen P, et al. Economic and clinical burden of viral hepatitis in California: A population-based study with longitudinal analysis. [Published online ahead of print April 30, 2018]. PLoS One. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0196452.
This Week's Must Reads
Do Vitamin D Supplements Prevent Cancer, CVD?, N Engl J Med; 2019 Jan 3; Manson, Cook, et al
Nonadherence to Cancer Screenings & Related Mortality, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2018 Dec 28; Pierre-Victor, et al
Alcohol Consumption After Development of HF, JAMA Netw Open; ePub 2018 Dec 28; Sadhu, et al
Opioid-Involved Overdose Deaths in the US, MMWR; 2019 Jan 4; Scholl, Seth, et al
Assessing the Diet Quality of US Children, Am J Clin Nutrit; ePub 2018 Dec 29; Thomson, et al
Must Reads in Hepatitis
Glecaprevir/Pibrentasvir Efficacy & Safety Assessed, J Hepatol; ePub 2018 Nov 23; D’Ambrosio, et al
HCV Infection Among Children & Young Persons, J Hepatol; ePub 2018 Nov 26; Modin, et al
HCV Patients with Limited Access to Antiviral Therapy, Dig Liver Dis; ePub 2018 Nov 29; Lens, et al
Progression in the Elimination of HCV Infection, PLoS One; ePub 2018 Dec 4; Juanbeltz, et al
Increased HCV Screening in Veteran Populations, Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf; ePub 2018 Sep 25; Wray, et al