Patients with hepatitis B virus (HBV) incurred higher liver-related hospital charges and higher mean increase for all-cause and liver-related hospitalization charges over an 8-year period and also had slightly lower mortality rate, compared to patients with hepatitis C virus (HCV), a recent study found. The retrospective cohort analysis of HBV and HCV patients from the California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Developing (2006-2013) database compared HBV and HCV related hospital admission rates, charges, mortality rates, causes of death in a US population-based study. Researchers found:
- A total of 23,891 HBV and 148,229 HCV patients were included.
- Across the 8-year study period, the mean increase for all-cause and liver-related hospitalization charges were significantly higher for the HBV cohort vs the HCV cohort.
- HBV patients also had significantly higher liver-related hospital charges per person per year vs HCV patients after controlling for covariates.
- Compared to HCV patients, adjusted mortality hazard ratio was slightly lower in HPV patients (RR, 0.96).
- Major causes and places of death differed between the groups.
Park H, Jeong D, Nguyen P, et al. Economic and clinical burden of viral hepatitis in California: A population-based study with longitudinal analysis. [Published online ahead of print April 30, 2018]. PLoS One. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0196452.
This Week's Must Reads
Treating Low-Risk Patients with Mild Hypertension, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2018 Oct 29; Sheppard, et al
Short Interpregnancy Intervals & Pregnancy Outcomes, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2018 Oct 29; Schummers, et al
Peer Support Impact in Adults with T2D & Depression, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Oct 29; Cherrington, et al
Efficacy of Bariatric Procedures for Weight Loss, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 Oct 30; Arterburn, et al
Concomitant DOAC-Antiplatelet Use & Bleeding Risk, Am J Med; ePub 2018 Oct 25; Douros, et al
Must Reads in Hepatitis
HCV Infection & All-Cause Mortality in HIV, Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Oct 12; Breskin, et al
Perinatal HCV Transmission & Expanded Testing, Am J Prev Med; 2018 Nov; Schillie, et al
Drug Misuse & HCV Infection for 3 Generations, J Addict Med; ePub 2018 Oct 16; McClure, et al
HCV Diagnosis in Prison by Testing & Telemedicine, J Viral Hepat; ePub 2018 Oct 13; Morey, et al
Cannabis Use in Chronic HCV Patients , Can J Gastroenterol Hepatol; ePub 2018 Sep 23; Adejumo, et al