Patients with hepatitis B virus (HBV) incurred higher liver-related hospital charges and higher mean increase for all-cause and liver-related hospitalization charges over an 8-year period and also had slightly lower mortality rate, compared to patients with hepatitis C virus (HCV), a recent study found. The retrospective cohort analysis of HBV and HCV patients from the California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Developing (2006-2013) database compared HBV and HCV related hospital admission rates, charges, mortality rates, causes of death in a US population-based study. Researchers found:
- A total of 23,891 HBV and 148,229 HCV patients were included.
- Across the 8-year study period, the mean increase for all-cause and liver-related hospitalization charges were significantly higher for the HBV cohort vs the HCV cohort.
- HBV patients also had significantly higher liver-related hospital charges per person per year vs HCV patients after controlling for covariates.
- Compared to HCV patients, adjusted mortality hazard ratio was slightly lower in HPV patients (RR, 0.96).
- Major causes and places of death differed between the groups.
Park H, Jeong D, Nguyen P, et al. Economic and clinical burden of viral hepatitis in California: A population-based study with longitudinal analysis. [Published online ahead of print April 30, 2018]. PLoS One. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0196452.
This Week's Must Reads
Relevance of Health Literacy to CV Health, Circulation; ePub 2018 Jun 4; Magnani, et al
Diabetes & Long-Term Kidney Disease, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Jun 1; Warren, et al
Maternal Loss of Control Over Eating, Am J Clin Nutr; ePub 2018 Jun 5; Micali, et al
Efficacy of Brief Behavioral Treatment for Insomnia, Sleep Medicine; ePub 2018 Jun 2; McCrae, et al
Opioid-Related Adverse Events in Surgical Patients, JAMA Surg; ePub 2018 May 23; Shafi, et al
Must Reads in Hepatitis
Glecaprevir/pibrentasvir Can Reduce HCV Tx Duration, Hepatol Int; ePub 2018 May 29; Abutaleb, et al
Estimates of HCV by Race and Sex in US, BMC Infect Dis; ePub 2018 May 16; Hall, et al
Efficacy of DAA Therapy for HCV in Older Adults, J Am Geriatr Soc; ePub 2018 May 25; Mazzarelli, et al
HCV Treatment in People Who Inject Drugs, Open Forum Infect Dis; ePub 2018 May 23; Alimohammadi, et al
Risk of HCV Among Vulnerable Populations, J Viral Hepat; ePub 2018 May 31; Aisyah, et al