Reimbursement is a major barrier to primary care practitioner treatment of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection, along with purported barriers such as complexity of the patients, time commitment, and the need for expertise. This according a recent nationwide survey of general practitioners that sought to identify barriers to HCV treatment among general practitioners. Among the details:
- 3,817 general practitioners were surveyed; 925 (24.2%) participated.
- 187 (21%) practitioners indicated they prescribed HCV medications.
- 620 (70%) indicated that no general practitioner in their practice had interest in managing HCV therapy.
- HCV training was associated with increased prescribing activity.
- Inadequate reimbursement (44%), too few HCV patients (40%), and caseload with other patients (40%) were the most frequently identified barriers to treatment.
- A lack of awareness to the prevalence of HCV in the general population was also identified as an important barrier.
Johnson S, Aluzaite K, Taar A, Schultz M. Identifying barriers to treatment of HCV in the primary care setting. [Published online ahead of print October 30, 2018]. Hepatol Int. doi:10.1007/s12072-018-9902-x.
This Week's Must Reads
CVD Events Prevented with New AHA BP Guideline, Circulation; ePub 2018 Nov 19; Bress, et al
USPSTF: Interventions to Prevent Child Maltreatment, JAMA; 2018 Nov 27; US Preventive Services Task Force
Team-Based Primary Care in Chronically Ill Patients, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2018 Nov 26; Meyers, et al
Rotating Night Shift Work & Risk of T2D, BMJ; ePub 2018 Nov 21; Shan, Li, et al
PUFAs for Primary & Secondary CVD Prevention, Cochrane Library; ePub 2018 Nov 27; Abdelhamid, et al
Must Reads in Hepatitis
Glecaprevir/Pibrentasvir in HCV GT 3 Infection, J Viral Hepat; ePub 2018 Nov 12; Flamm, et al
HCV Therapy Reduces CVD Events in Veterans, Gastroenterology; ePub 2018 Nov 13; Butt, et al
Alcohol Use Disorder in Patients with HCV/HIV , Drug Alcohol Depend; 2018 Oct 30; Frost, et al
Sexually-acquired HCV in MSM Using PrEP, J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Nov 20; Price, et al
Effective HCV Testing In US Prisons, Am J Prev Med; ePub 2018 Nov 19; Assoumou, et al