Certain socioeconomic factors were linked with improved chronic graft-versus host disease (GVHD) symptom scores in a study involving 421 individuals. However, they had no impact on survival and non-relapse mortality. Participants had chronic GVHD. Investigators looked at the impact income, education, marital status, and work status had on outcomes and non-relapse and overall mortality. Among the results:
- Higher income, ability to work, and having a partner were linked with better chronic GVHD symptom scores.
- Higher income, level of education, and ability to work were significantly linked with better quality of life and improved activity.
- Higher income and ability to return to work were both significantly linked with better chronic GVHD scores.
- Those unable to return to work experienced worse overall mortality.
- None of the socioeconomic status indicators were linked with non-relapse mortality.
- Income, race, and education did not impact survival.
Hamilton B, Rybicki L, Arai S, et al. Association of socioeconomic status with chronic graft-versus-host disease outcomes. [Published online ahead of print October 12, 2017]. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. doi:10.1016/j.bbmt.2017.10.009.
This Week's Must Reads
HCV and Increased Risk of Atherosclerosis, Hepatol Int; ePub 2018 Feb 8; Bridge, et al
Chronic HCV & Early HIV Viral Response to ART, AIDS; ePub 2018 Jan 13; Willis, Cole, et al
Impact of DM/HBV Coinfection in Patients with HCV, J Gastroenterol Hepatol; ePub 2018 Jan 26; Subramaniam, et al
Prevalence of HCV and Route of Transmission, J Viral Hepat; 2018 Feb; Wong, Lee, Ng, et al
Liver Fibrosis & Microbial Translocation in HIV/HCV, J Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Jan 3; Reid, et al
Must Reads in Hematologic Malignancies
Prognostic Score System for Patients with PMF, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2017 Dec 9; Gugliemelli, et al
These Patients Are More Apt to Be Depressed, Ann Hematol; ePub 2017 Dec 7; Shreders, et al
Survival Length Shortest in These Patients with MF, Eur J Haematol; ePub 2017 Dec 11; Masarova, et al
The Value of Ruxolitinib Before and After AlloSCT, Blood; ePub 2017 Dec 7; Poulose, Malysz, et al
Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors in Pediatric ALL, Hematology 2017; 2017 Dec 8; Silverman, et al