Patients with essential thrombocythemia (ET) who do not respond to or cannot tolerate hydroxyurea can benefit from ruxolitinib treatment, according to a small open-label phase 2 study involving 39 individuals. Participants received a median dose of 30 mg/day of ruxolitinib. Among the results:
- Treatment with a starting dose of 25 mg twice daily was linked with improved symptoms.
- 47% of patients experienced a ≥50% improvement in bone pain at week 12.
- Pruritus improved in 50%, night sweats in 75%, numbness/tingling in the fingers/toes in 65%, and weakness in 35%.
- At baseline, 62% of patients were positive for the JAK2V617F mutation.
- Minimal decrease from baseline in JAK2V617F allele burden was seen after 24 weeks of treatment.
- Allele burden was reduced with longer exposure.
- The most common nonhematologic adverse events during the first 8 weeks were weight increase, cough, diarrhea, and pyrexia.
- The most common hematologic abnormalities were anemia and leukopenia.
Verstovsek S, Passamonti F, Rambaldi A, et al. Ruxolitinib for essential thrombocythemia refractory to or intolerant of hydroxyurea: Long-term phase 2 study results. Blood. 2017;130(15):1768-1771. doi:10.1182/blood-2017-02-765032.
This Week's Must Reads
Efficacy of Glecaprevir-Pibrentasvir in HCV, N Engl J Med; 2018 Jan 25; Zeuzem, et al
Cigarette Smoking in Persons Living with HCV, Am J Med; ePub 2018 Feb 3; Kim, et al
Expanded Age-Based HCV Testing in US , Clin Infect Dis; ePub 2018 Feb 6; Barocas, et al
HCV Treatment as Prevention in PWIDs, Lancet; 2018 Feb; Zelenev, Li, et al
HCV Incidence From Injection Paraphernalia , J Infect Dis; 2018 Jan; Heimer, Binka, et al
Must Reads in Hematologic Malignancies
Prognostic Score System for Patients with PMF, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2017 Dec 9; Gugliemelli, et al
These Patients Are More Apt to Be Depressed, Ann Hematol; ePub 2017 Dec 7; Shreders, et al
Survival Length Shortest in These Patients with MF, Eur J Haematol; ePub 2017 Dec 11; Masarova, et al
The Value of Ruxolitinib Before and After AlloSCT, Blood; ePub 2017 Dec 7; Poulose, Malysz, et al
Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors in Pediatric ALL, Hematology 2017; 2017 Dec 8; Silverman, et al