There was a modest reduction in the mortality rate associated with adverse effects of medical treatment (AEMT) in the US from 1990 to 2016 but an increase in mortality associated with advancing age and geographic variability. This according to a secondary analysis of the Global Burden of Disease, Injuries, and Risk Factors (GBD) study. The cohort study used 1990‒2016 data on mortality due to AEMT from the study. The primary outcome was mortality associated with AEMT. Among the findings:
- From 1990‒2016, there were an estimated 123,603 deaths in the US with AEMT was the underlying cause.
- Despite an overall increase in the number of deaths due to AEMT over time, the national age-standardized mortality rates due to AEMT decreased by 21.4%.
- Men and women had similar rates of AEMT mortality.
- Those aged ≥70 years had mortality rates nearly 20-fold greater compared with those aged 15 to 49 years.
- Surgical and perioperative events were the most common subtype of AEMT.
Sunshine JE, Meo N, Kassebaum NJ, Collison ML, Mokdad AH, Naghavi M. Association of adverse effects of medical treatment with mortality in the United States: A secondary analysis of the Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors Study. JAMA Netw Open. 2019;2(1):e187041. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.7041.
This Week's Must Reads
Patient-Centered Intervention for Prostate Ca Care, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2019 Mar 12; Jayadevappa, et al
Subsequent Cancer Risk in Prostate Cancer, Lancet Oncol; ePub 2019 Mar 15; Mohamad, et al
Accuracy of 68Ga-PSMA-11 PET in Prostate Cancer, JAMA Oncol; ePub 2019 Mar 28; Fendler, et al
Low Muscle Mass in Patients with Prostate Cancer, J Urol; ePub 2019 Mar 27; Pak, Park, et al
Steroid Hormones & Progression of Prostate Cancer, Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev; ePub 2019 Mar 27; Lévesque, et al
Must Reads in Health Policy
Outpatient Care for Adults With Primary Care, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2019 Jan 28; Levine, et al
Outpatient Benzodiazepine Prescribing in US, JAMA Netw Open; 2019 Jan 25; Agarwal, et al
Reduction of Readmissions Through Primary Care, JAMA Netw Open; 2019 Jan 25; Wiest, et al
Adverse Effects in Medical Treatment & Mortality, JAMA Netw Open; ePub 2019 Jan 18; Sunshine, et al
Multimorbidity Trends Among US Adults, J Am Board Fam Med; 2018 Jul-Aug; King, et al