Pioglitazone use for diabetes was not associated with a statistically significant increased risk of bladder cancer in a cohort study of 193,099 individuals aged 40 years and older, although an increased risk could not be excluded from the analysis, including increased prostate and pancreatic cancer risks associated with ever use of the drug. The study also included an analysis of 10 additional cancers in 236,507 individuals aged 40 years and older and concluded:
• 18% of individuals in the bladder cancer cohort received pioglitazone and 1,261 had incident bladder cancer.
• Ever use of pioglitazone was not associated with bladder cancer risk.
• There was no association with 8 of the 10 additional cancers.
• There was increased risk of prostate cancer (HR-1.13) and pancreatic cancer (HR-1.41) from ever use of pioglitazone.
Citation: Lewis JD, Habel LA, Quesenberry CP, et al. Pioglitazone use and risk of bladder cancer and other common cancers in persons with diabetes. JAMA. 2015;314(3):265-277.
1. Dormandy JA, Charbonnel B, Eckland DJ, et al. Secondary prevention of macrovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes in the Proactive study (Prospective pioglitazone clinical trial in macrovascular events): a randomized controlled trial. Lancet. 2005;366 (9493):1279-1289.
2. Inzucchi SE, Bergenstal RM, Buse JB, et al. Management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes, 2015: A patient-centered approach: update to a position statement of the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2015;38:140–149.
This Week's Must Reads
Patient-Centered Intervention for Prostate Ca Care, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2019 Mar 12; Jayadevappa, et al
Subsequent Cancer Risk in Prostate Cancer, Lancet Oncol; ePub 2019 Mar 15; Mohamad, et al
Accuracy of 68Ga-PSMA-11 PET in Prostate Cancer, JAMA Oncol; ePub 2019 Mar 28; Fendler, et al
Low Muscle Mass in Patients with Prostate Cancer, J Urol; ePub 2019 Mar 27; Pak, Park, et al
Steroid Hormones & Progression of Prostate Cancer, Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev; ePub 2019 Mar 27; Lévesque, et al
Must Reads in Diabetes
Testosterone Therapy to Prevent T2D in Men, Diabetes Care; ePub 2019 Mar 18; Yassin, et al
Patterns of Diabetes Screening During Office Visits, J Am Board Fam Med; 2019 Mar-Apr; Shealy, et al
Muscular Strength and Incidence of Type 2 Diabetes, Mayo Clin Proc; ePub 2019 Mar 11; Wang, et al
Insulin Management in Patients with T2D, Lancet; ePub 2019 Feb 22; Bergenstal, et al
Hospitalization Rates in Young-Onset Diabetes, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2019 Jan 15; Ke, Lau, et al