Peer support decreased acute care visits and hospitalizations for patients with type 2 diabetes (T2D) and depressive symptoms but not for those without depressive symptoms, a new study found. The cluster-randomized controlled trial included adults with T2D who wanted help with self-management. Intervention participants received 1 year of peer support. Control participants received usual care. Researchers found:
- At baseline, half of the sample reported mild depressive symptoms, and one-fourth reported moderate depressive symptoms.
- 168 intervention (6 clusters) and 187 control (5 clusters) participants had follow-up data.
- In those with mild depressive symptoms, the incidence rate ratio (IRR) for hospitalization among intervention vs control was 0.26 per 10-patient years.
- The IRR for AC was 0.55 per 10 person-years.
- Findings were similar for those with moderate depressive symptoms.
Cherrington AL, Khodneva Y, Richman JS, et al. Impact of peer support on acute care visits and hospitalizations for individuals with diabetes and depressive symptoms: A cluster-randomized controlled trial. [Published online ahead of print October 29, 2018]. Diabetes Care. doi: 10.2337/dc18-0550.
This Week's Must Reads
Patient-Centered Intervention for Prostate Ca Care, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2019 Mar 12; Jayadevappa, et al
Subsequent Cancer Risk in Prostate Cancer, Lancet Oncol; ePub 2019 Mar 15; Mohamad, et al
Accuracy of 68Ga-PSMA-11 PET in Prostate Cancer, JAMA Oncol; ePub 2019 Mar 28; Fendler, et al
Low Muscle Mass in Patients with Prostate Cancer, J Urol; ePub 2019 Mar 27; Pak, Park, et al
Steroid Hormones & Progression of Prostate Cancer, Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev; ePub 2019 Mar 27; Lévesque, et al
Must Reads in Diabetes
Testosterone Therapy to Prevent T2D in Men, Diabetes Care; ePub 2019 Mar 18; Yassin, et al
Patterns of Diabetes Screening During Office Visits, J Am Board Fam Med; 2019 Mar-Apr; Shealy, et al
Muscular Strength and Incidence of Type 2 Diabetes, Mayo Clin Proc; ePub 2019 Mar 11; Wang, et al
Insulin Management in Patients with T2D, Lancet; ePub 2019 Feb 22; Bergenstal, et al
Hospitalization Rates in Young-Onset Diabetes, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2019 Jan 15; Ke, Lau, et al