Peer support decreased acute care visits and hospitalizations for patients with type 2 diabetes (T2D) and depressive symptoms but not for those without depressive symptoms, a new study found. The cluster-randomized controlled trial included adults with T2D who wanted help with self-management. Intervention participants received 1 year of peer support. Control participants received usual care. Researchers found:
- At baseline, half of the sample reported mild depressive symptoms, and one-fourth reported moderate depressive symptoms.
- 168 intervention (6 clusters) and 187 control (5 clusters) participants had follow-up data.
- In those with mild depressive symptoms, the incidence rate ratio (IRR) for hospitalization among intervention vs control was 0.26 per 10-patient years.
- The IRR for AC was 0.55 per 10 person-years.
- Findings were similar for those with moderate depressive symptoms.
Cherrington AL, Khodneva Y, Richman JS, et al. Impact of peer support on acute care visits and hospitalizations for individuals with diabetes and depressive symptoms: A cluster-randomized controlled trial. [Published online ahead of print October 29, 2018]. Diabetes Care. doi: 10.2337/dc18-0550.
This Week's Must Reads
Androgen Deprivation Therapy & Risk of Depression, Cancer; ePub 2019 Feb 12; Deka, Rose, et al
QOL in Patients with Low-Risk PC Treated with HRT, JAMA Oncol; ePub 2019 Feb 14; Bruner, et al
Hospital Competition & Prostate Cancer Outcomes, Cancer; ePub 2019 Feb 1; Aggarwal, et al
Insurance Status & Stage of Prostate Ca Diagnosis, Cancer Epidemiol; 2019 Apr; Ramirez, Morano, et al
Agent Orange Exposure & Prostate Ca Outcomes, J Urol; ePub 2019 Jan 8; Etheridge, et al
Must Reads in Diabetes
Insulin Management in Patients with T2D, Lancet; ePub 2019 Feb 22; Bergenstal, et al
Hospitalization Rates in Young-Onset Diabetes, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2019 Jan 15; Ke, Lau, et al
Long-Term Absolute Risk for CVD by FG Level, Diabetes Care; ePub 2019 Jan 7; Bancks, et al
Prediabetes Status & Lifestyle Modification , J Am Board Fam Med; 2019 Jan 4; Owei, et al
Second-Line ADMs & CV Events in T2D, JAMA Netw Open; ePub 2018 Dec 21; O’Brien, et al