E-cigarette use is common in the US, especially among younger adults, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons, current cigarette smokers, and those with comorbid conditions. This according to a recent cross-sectional study that examined the prevalence and distribution of e-cigarette use among US adults in 2016. Participants aged ≥18 years were grouped by sociodemographic, comorbid medical conditions, and states of residence. Researchers found:
- Of participants with information on e-cigarette use (n=466,842), 15,240 were current e-cigarette users (prevalence 4.5%), which corresponds to 10.8 million adult e-cigarette users in the US.
- The prevalence of current e-cigarette use was highest among persons aged 18-24 years (9.2%).
- More than half of current e-cigarette users (51.2%) were aged <35 years.
- Age-standardized prevalence of e-cigarette use was high among men, LGBT persons, current combustible cigarette smokers, and those with chronic health conditions.
- The prevalence of e-cigarette use differed widely across states.
Mirbolouk M, Charkhchi P, Kianoush S, et al. Prevalence and distribution of E-cigarette use among U.S. adults: Behavioral risk factor surveillance system, 2016. Ann Intern Med. 2018;169:429–438. doi:10.7326/M17-3440.
This Week's Must Reads
Treating Low-Risk Patients with Mild Hypertension, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2018 Oct 29; Sheppard, et al
Short Interpregnancy Intervals & Pregnancy Outcomes, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2018 Oct 29; Schummers, et al
Peer Support Impact in Adults with T2D & Depression, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Oct 29; Cherrington, et al
Efficacy of Bariatric Procedures for Weight Loss, Ann Intern Med; ePub 2018 Oct 30; Arterburn, et al
Concomitant DOAC-Antiplatelet Use & Bleeding Risk, Am J Med; ePub 2018 Oct 25; Douros, et al
Must Reads in Addiction Medicine
Prevalence of E-Cigarette Use Among US Adults, Ann Intern Med; 2018 Oct 2; Mirbolouk, et al
Impact of Opioid Controlled Substance Agreements, Mayo Clin Proc; ePub 2018 Sep 20; Philpot, et al
Nicotine Replacement Therapy in Smokers with CHD, J Am Heart Assoc; ePub 2018 Sep 7; Pack, et al
Immediate vs Gradual Nicotine Reduction in Cigarettes, JAMA; ePub 2018 Sep 4; Hatsukami, et al
Alcohol Use and Global Disease Burden, Lancet; ePub 2018 Aug 23; GBD 2016 Alcohol Collaborators