E-cigarette use is common in the US, especially among younger adults, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons, current cigarette smokers, and those with comorbid conditions. This according to a recent cross-sectional study that examined the prevalence and distribution of e-cigarette use among US adults in 2016. Participants aged ≥18 years were grouped by sociodemographic, comorbid medical conditions, and states of residence. Researchers found:
- Of participants with information on e-cigarette use (n=466,842), 15,240 were current e-cigarette users (prevalence 4.5%), which corresponds to 10.8 million adult e-cigarette users in the US.
- The prevalence of current e-cigarette use was highest among persons aged 18-24 years (9.2%).
- More than half of current e-cigarette users (51.2%) were aged <35 years.
- Age-standardized prevalence of e-cigarette use was high among men, LGBT persons, current combustible cigarette smokers, and those with chronic health conditions.
- The prevalence of e-cigarette use differed widely across states.
Mirbolouk M, Charkhchi P, Kianoush S, et al. Prevalence and distribution of E-cigarette use among U.S. adults: Behavioral risk factor surveillance system, 2016. Ann Intern Med. 2018;169:429–438. doi:10.7326/M17-3440.
This Week's Must Reads
Androgen Deprivation Therapy & Risk of Depression, Cancer; ePub 2019 Feb 12; Deka, Rose, et al
QOL in Patients with Low-Risk PC Treated with HRT, JAMA Oncol; ePub 2019 Feb 14; Bruner, et al
Hospital Competition & Prostate Cancer Outcomes, Cancer; ePub 2019 Feb 1; Aggarwal, et al
Insurance Status & Stage of Prostate Ca Diagnosis, Cancer Epidemiol; 2019 Apr; Ramirez, Morano, et al
Agent Orange Exposure & Prostate Ca Outcomes, J Urol; ePub 2019 Jan 8; Etheridge, et al
Must Reads in Addiction Medicine
Opioid-Related Mortality in US by Opioid Type, JAMA Netw Open; 2019 Feb 22; Kiang, et al
Disparities in the Prescription of Opioids, JAMA Intern Med; ePub 2019 Feb 11; Friedman, et al
Prevention of Prescription Opioid Misuse in the US, JAMA Netw Open; 2019 Feb 1; Chen, et al
E-cigarettes & Risk of Tobacco Cigarette Initiation, JAMA Netw Open; 2019 Feb 1; Berry, et al
Opioid-Involved Overdose Deaths in the US, MMWR; 2019 Jan 4; Scholl, Seth, et al